Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would Revit have to offer us?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
lsimms1
849 Views, 3 Replies

What would Revit have to offer us?

I keep hearing people talk about Revit.  We are getting sales pitches, offers for a free demonstration, etc.  (demo is about a 2.5 hour drive in if we leave at about 4:00am to miss traffic, and probably about 4 hours to get home.  this for a 2.5 hr demo)

We are a Civil / Survey company.  The Civil division is generally designing Site Plans, Subdivisions, and Roads (new or reconstruction).  Survey, is Legal surveys, Topo's, and layout.

Would Revit be of any value to us?  Currently we are using C3d 2008, hoping to move to 2011 by the end of the year.

Thanks for any advice on this.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
omc-usnr
in reply to: lsimms1

In a small civil/survey office like I used to work in, we could see no benefit.  Neither could some of the small architectural firms we worked with.

If you're thinking of expanding into BIM (with the emphasis on BUILDING), or share a lot of projects with architects, it might be worth it.  Otherwise for a civil firm, I can't see it.

Reid

Message 3 of 4
lsimms1
in reply to: omc-usnr

Thanks

Message 4 of 4
JamesMaeding
in reply to: lsimms1

and do not get pulled into thinking Civil 3D is BIM like Revit is.

C3D is great for surfaces, ok for alignments, and horrible for pipe networks and road models because you cannot label them directly, only the surface they make which does not work for things like curbs and walls that have steep faces.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report