Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

w3wp issues and possible fix

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
CelticDesignServices
1214 Views, 4 Replies

w3wp issues and possible fix

Just wondering if anyone else has been seeing this issue and how you all addressed it or maybe help you address it.

We've been having Vault Workgroups 2012 come to a stand still a few times, most recently this week.

On top of us finding numerous issues with our older AutoCAD files interacting with Vault (see my other thread here), we have verified that if our w3wp process gets to +1.7gig or more, Vault comes to a crawl or crashes.

What we've been able to verfiy also is that when a user activates a Inventor file out of Vault, this process increases in memory usage and then drops back down to normal once the process is done. But when an AutoCAD file is checked out or into Vault, the memory jumps up as expected, but then it only resets about 1/2. In other words if the Acad file bumps the process memory up by 500mb, when it's done, it only releases 250mb, whereas Inventor releases all 500mb. So what happens is with numerous users all activating Acad files, the memory amount keeps mounting (5 steps forward, 3 steps back) until it eventually reaches the 1.7g range and Vault starts to drag.

The IT department here will now be running or invoking a IIS reset over night each night to clear the w3wp process memory in hopes we don't see this again.

Just wondering how anyone else who might be experiencing this is handling it?

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Definitely sounds like a memory leak.  Are you running SP1 and post SP1 hotfix?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/index?siteID=123112&id=2334435&linkID=9261341#section30

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 5

We're on SP1, but haven't installed the post SP1 hotfix as of yet.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 4 of 5

I am not sure that I can offer any help, just a confirmation that we have this issue as well! 🙂

We see this happen quite often. Our Vault never seems to slow, but frequently locks up.  The strange thing is that it will occur every day for a week (sometimes two or three times a day) and then it will not happen again for 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc..

We store AutoCAD .DWG files as well as .PDFs, .DOCs, etc... in out Vault (basic), but no inventor files.  Unlike yours, ours will usually get to ~3GB before it locks up.  The ADMS console runs on a dedicated server, so when this occurs, we do a reset of IIS and everything goes back to normal within a few seconds.  

We have another server in a remote office that runs Vault Server as well.  I set it up about 6 months ago and have never had to restart IIS.  Granted it is not used nearly as much as the Vault server at this location, but still strange. The local ADMS console is using SQL Express while the remote ADMS console uses the full version of SQL (not sure if that would really make a difference).

I have not install SP1 as of yet.

Hope it helps!

Message 5 of 5

DB,

I'd suggest doing as our IT guy here did and write up a script to do a daily restart/reset of the IIS process, thus clearing the memory. It's been working fine for us since...knock on wood.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report