Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring old versions of Autocad

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
FDRC2
807 Views, 12 Replies

Transferring old versions of Autocad

We have Autocad 2003 (or 2002 or 2004 I'm not sure which it is without looking) on an old pc that is being replaced by our IT department. Unfortunately they've lost the original Autocad installation CD so we can't reinstall it on a newer machine. Is there somewhere (through the Autodesk website or elsewhere) where we can download the program? We have a "dongle" that plugs in the back of the pc that will verify our licence.

Will we be able to download the program anywhere or is it a case of tough cookie? (They'll never fork out for a new version.)

Thanks to anyone that can advise.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: FDRC2

Probably not.  You can try asking in the Installation and Licensing board, but you probably won't get anywhere.  I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but... backups aren't just for drawings.  You *are* allowed to create back-up copies for your installers, and its one of the first things you should be doing with any software you have.  Include it in the off-site tape backups you have, so that its available in case of catastrophic emergency, such as flooding.  Be sure to include all relevant information - contract numbers, licenses, product ID's, and the like.

They really should be willing to pay (and should be budgeting) for a new copy if its one of the tools being used.  You might be able to get away with one of the low-cost clones but those have limitations as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 13

dgorsman is right, Autodesk doesn't typically go back that far and your company is penny-pinching on a basic and vital tool. The improvements made in the software in the past decade are redonkulously handy (you can quote me on that), even if you only use a small portion.

NOW, if you have got your serial number and your dongle, *my* suggestion would be to talk to some local folks until you find some hoarders. In my Local Users Group, I'm sure we've got at least 3 or 4 hoarders who have been nostaligic enough to hold onto their old media (I include myself in that, at my last job, I kept every release from r12 onward, locked in my office and never left them unattended with IT... they took my photoshop disc and I've never forgiven them.).
Obviously, you can't use their serial numbers, but, you might be able to make backups of their install discs.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 13
pendean

Ebay: find someone willing to sell you their original Authentic media and you should be able to use your own serial numbers/dongle to activate it.

Just make sure the media is from the same region of the world that you are in. Yes, it will cost you money if you are only willing to consider AutoCAD as the replacement. Sorry.
Message 5 of 13
FDRC2

Thanks guys.  I didn't realise we'd need a serial number as well, that will almost definately be lost somewhere.

I'll have a look on ebay just incase they have cheap versions. I wonder how legal this is though, I imagine the licence granted is based on the user?

I will suggest they update their versions (and use the phrase "penny-pinching" which might have some impact).

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 13
pendean

OMG 🙂

Without your original serial numbers, anything you buy that is that old may not activate on the Autodesk servers and would be useless to you all. Your company might want to invest in some kind of software auditing and controls systems, and archiving in the interim while you all work out solutions.
Message 7 of 13

I'm certain dean meant ebay purely for the media, not for the license. If you don't have your own serial number, the media won't do you any good.

But, another bit of advice for the future, just as you should safeguard your media, you should also keep record of all of the serial numbers (I kept software and hardware records, including IP address and driver links, in a single document, just to make it easy on anyone else in my department who needed to view any of the data).

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 8 of 13

Reminds me of back in the day, dealing with users who had hardware locks (any software, not just autodesk) -- and they would "lose" them and ask for a "free" replacement.

This topic makes we wonder also.... if it would be legal for one of your horders to copy a physical CD for the OP, would it be any different to copy the CD to dropbox and let the OP download it...?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 9 of 13
dgorsman
in reply to: rkmcswain

Not a lawyer by any means, but I would think so provided its a one-off and not mass sharing to anybody who wants to download it.  The payment is for the right to use the software, and the rights are granted through the activation process not the physical storage media.  There *might* be a small copyright issue associated with the content of the media but for a one off it could be overlooked.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 10 of 13

Hardware lock? That's a little before my time.

Melanie Stone
Message 11 of 13

last dongle i recall being required for Acad (Stateside) was v2.5.  replace with v2.52 in about 6 weeks because of customer backlash.  International slaes continued to use a dongle for some time, but damifino how long....

Authorizing old versions:  

Prior to autoCAD 2005, all that was needed was the information on the package.  No auth codes from the mothership, just serial number, plus one or two additional printed codes that were included with the media.  2005 started the authorization business - which means that Adesk has to keep the authorization servers running in perpetuity, or offer an alternative for legitimate 2005 owners who never upgraded.  After all, it was a 'perpeptual use license'.

Message 12 of 13

For use with AutoCAD...? Yea, even before my time (if you can believe that). But a lot of other programs used them. We still have one at the office here that does.
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 13

~dubious look~

😉

Melanie Stone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report