Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
Amito
613 Views, 8 Replies

Transfer NLM license

We have posted two users to another company but the don't have enough licenses. Since we have licenses available, they've asked if we could transfer two licenses for them for the given period.

FlexLM supports borrowing but I've understood Autodesk licenses doesn't.

Is there any other possibility to achieve this?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: Amito

Correct.  The EULA prevents you from transferring your licenses (even temporarily) to another company.  They are responsible for obtaining their own licenses if they wish to use them for production means.

3.2.3     Transfers.  You may not distribute, rent, loan, lease, sell, sublicense, or otherwise transfer all or any portion of the Autodesk Materials, or any rights granted in this Agreement, to any other person or legal entity without the prior written consent of Autodesk. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
jggerth1

Ok,, if the remote users are using _your_ companies equipment, there are two possibilities which should maintain compliance with the EULA terms.

1) bring their machines into your office, and borrow the licenses from your server for x many months.  That will dedicate the licenses, and temporarily subtract them from your available pool.

2) connect from the other office to your network across a vpn to check out a licenses.  that may also mean borrowing a license -- and will require the other company's IT to cooperate.

If your guys are using the other company's hardware, then no way to do it  (run your licenses under their roof) w/o violating the EULA.  Simplest way would be to provide laptops and borrow the licenses.  I imagine you can lease a workstation laptop for 6 months at not too exorbinant a cost.

Message 4 of 9
Amito

That's strange. For de SLM licenses they've build a special tool  (License transfer utility) to achieve this. I guess I'have to send this matter to Autodesk to clearify this.

BTW. the users will use hardware of the other company (part of our holding). The problem is, that we're not allowed to use our own hardware in their network because of security matters. So I don't have any more options left.

Nevertheless thanks for your effort in the replies.

Message 5 of 9
jggerth1

and for network licenses, you can use the borrow license feature.  the problem is, that under the EULA all machines have to be owned/under the control of the licensed entity.

You mentioned (part of our holding).  by that do you mean that your organization owns the other company?

Message 6 of 9
Amito
in reply to: jggerth1

With part of our holding I meant, we are on the same level like sisters.

Message 7 of 9
jggerth1

so you are both wholly owned subsidiaries of another company?  if that's the case, work with you dealer and it's possible adesk will authorize the transfer.  They can, after all, do that if they want to.  In this case, the license stays within the same (parental) ownership, so ... maybe.

Might be simplest all around if all licenses were transferred tot he parent org, but I can see corporate politics and kindom building interfering.

Message 8 of 9
Amito
in reply to: jggerth1

That's correct. This being investigated at a higher level, I was looking for a solution on short term.

Thanks for your ideas  and support.

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave

Good luck with that.  We just want you to be legal and avoid an audit.  Thanks!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report