Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Support 4 CAD issues, devel CAD standards, dwts, etc x multiple software

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mdhutchinson
789 Views, 5 Replies

Support 4 CAD issues, devel CAD standards, dwts, etc x multiple software

I have to support multiple versions of AutoCAD and other 3rd party software.
In some instances this may be across multiple version releases / migration / implementation.

In order of greatest to least need...
AutoCAD MEP
AutoCAD MEP with 3rd party software A
AutoCAD MEP with 3rd party software B
AutoCAD
AutoCAD LT

What options are being used as a CAD Manager to:
1) Fielding and resolution of CAD related issues.
2) Developing & maintaining CAD standards.
3) Developing Templates,drawing borders.
4) Developing plotting standards
5) Developing block libraries.

I believe the general rule of thumb is to use the most common denominator (leaving LT out of the mix perhaps). So for the most part, items 2 - 5 should be done with vanilla AutoCAD. What are your thoughts?

What solutions are being done to enable a CAD Managers computer to support multiple software without the risk of infecting with proxy graphics and/or custom objects in the drawing's database? Say a set of standard drawing templates and related blocks. Standard boarders should be free of MEP objects whether graphic or in the dwgs database.
I attempted a configuration with MEP to start with a generic AutoCAD CUIX, profile... I worked on some new drawing boarders... started with No Template... but before long MEP infected the drawing with objects...

I have our IT department looking in to VM ware. They say this should allow my machine to support multiple CAD software versions. They are suggesting a change to Windows 7 also with more ram.

What are your thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I too am interested in answers to these questions.  Anyone??

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

If MEP is anything like C3d, you're basically hosed.  There's no such thing as backward compatibility, so if you're trying to come up with standards for the whole gang, it ain't gonna happen.  Tell the firm to get rid of LT and have everyone get onto the most common version of MEP in the firm.  Then, upgrade everyon at once, next time it happens.  If someone need to review stuff not actually use MEP, use dwt's.  The special intelligent entities that upper versions of adesk products makes sharing data tough, even with the same product, once it upgrades.

I'd start with the lowest version of MEP still in use to create standards.  Don't even bother with plain acad.  You work in MEP, review w/ dwt.  Once you have standards to fit the oldest MEP version, start bringing them forward.

You really need to push to get everyone on the same softeare/version.

Reid

Message 4 of 6
mdhutchinson

Well... take LT out of the picture all together... actually, there probably isn't any standard needed for LT... use is small.

I hear you about getting all on the save version... !!! Nothing better would I like... getting rid of the 3rd part software would get my vote. To bad I am not the one to pass down that edict.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

i am all about getting all on the MEP and scrapping the LT thing.  been trying since i started this thing 3 years ago~ ain't gonna happen.  it took all i had just to get the other two seats to update to 2011 with subscriptions....word is that in the future if work load warrants it we will again discuss bringing everyone to MEP, but even then it is more likely we will hire someone who already knows MEP, keep the other machines "dumbed down" and keep going....makes my job more difficult, but then again I do not write my own paycheck so there ya go!

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The problem with this type of company attitude is that it's counter productive & costs money to operate that way.  They're not taking full advantage of the MEP capabilities, and forcing errors and lost time into the project by trying to force backward the program files.

Not good SOP, and a waste of resources.

Reid

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report