Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop purging Standards

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Anonymous
486 Views, 12 Replies

Stop purging Standards

Why are the standards being purged when using purge all? Is there a way to avoid this? Or a category not to purge, I've tried purging each category separately, no problem. But as soon as I purge all the standards have lost their link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

place a block on a frozen layer in the outside corner of your layout which utilizes all your standards i.e. layers, fonts etc.

as far as i know this is the only way to stop Autocrap purging your standards.

i do not think Autocrap can read standards from a centralised external source like microstation which sounds like what you are looking for / expecting.
Message 3 of 13
Shneuph

If you do want to insert a block (.dwg file) with all of your standards, you can automate the process a little with some lisp code. If you use the acaddoc.lsp file you can put some code like the following... This will insert your standards block definition into any drawing you open.

(if (not (tblsearch "block" "YourStandardsDrawing"))
(command "insert" "YourStandardsDrawing" (list 0.0 0.0 0.0) "" "" "")
(princ "\nStandards Block is in this drawing..")
);if
(princ)

if you use something like the following then it will update the block on insertion in case you've made any changes to your standards.

(if (not (tblsearch "block" "YourStandardsDrawing"))
(command "insert" "YourStandardsDrawing=YourStandardsDrawing.dwg" (list 0.0 0.0 0.0) "" "" "")
);if
(princ)

The if statement makes sure that you aren't inserting your standards block more than once per drawing.
---sig---------------------------------------
'(83 104 110 101 117 112 104 64 71 109 97 105 108 46 99 111 109)
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for the option I will give it a try this weekend.
Message 5 of 13
chillme1

The acaddoc.lsp option sounds interesting. To understand this better,

The user/CAD Mgr could set up code that would take a drawing file's contents i.e. a main CAD Standard (DWT) template file, and have the code insert all of these into a DWG file.

That was one of the very few things where I thought Microstation's approach was superior over my present and personally-preferred program's paradigm.

Not perfect but kinda close....like me Edited by: chillme1 on Jan 26, 2010 5:15 AM
Thanks for your comments,

Clint Hill
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Say I make an update to one of the associtive blocks saved within "MyStandardsDrawing". Does this code update the nested blocks within "MyStandardsDrawing"?
Message 7 of 13
ScottHodges

In our office, I try and get everyone to start a draing from a template (.dwt) which contains all the standard layer, textstyles, dimstyles and so on. Sometimes these standards are purged. I have saved the .dwt as a .dwg and simply insert it to reestablish the standards. We then can run a scale script to set text heights and dimscales to the correct values. This may be old school but it's worked extremely well for over 20 years I've been using autocad. All the other replied to this thread are quite good. Just though i'd add an alternative.
Message 8 of 13
Shneuph

Hi Craig,
After taking a quick look it doesn't appear that inserting the "MyStandardsDrawing" is going to update any blocks which are nested within that standard drawing. The old block definitions will remain in the drawing unless you directly insert that specific block and choose the 'redefine' option. Typically, you will also have to run the attsync command on any block with attributes which have changed. There is a way that you can update block references from your template drawing using LISP. Until I have more time to explore some code I'll leave you with the following:

I wrote this and haven't looked at it in a long time but I use it ALL THE TIME...

;This will update a selected block reference. the block you are redefining needs to be in your support path .dwg
(defun C:ubd ()

(setq bname (cdr (assoc 2 (entget (car (entsel "\nSelect Block to Update: "))))))
(if (not bname)
(setq bname (getstring "\nType Block Name: "))
)
(command "insert" (strcat bname "=" bname ".dwg") ^C)
(command "attsync" "n" bname)
(princ)
);defun

Eventually, I could write some code that will read a .txt file with a list of all blocks in your "MyStandardsDrawing" and updates each one. If you're interested.
---sig---------------------------------------
'(83 104 110 101 117 112 104 64 71 109 97 105 108 46 99 111 109)
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

We use a "SETUP" lisp function that resets ALL variables to "Standard", and "makes" all "standard" layers and styles.

All drawings are started for an appropriate template with all "standard" settings. Should anything be changed or purged, type SETUP and enter and its all back to "normal". You can even set it to run everytime to open a drawing, if you like.
Message 10 of 13
chillme1

Randy,

Is this a standalone LISP file or part of the ACADDOC.lsp file?
If it not too much trouble, I certainly would like to inspect the code as I am learning LISP.

Thanks,

Clint Hill

Clint Hill
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

On 2/3/2010 8:48 AM, randyculp5621 wrote:
> We use a "SETUP" lisp function that resets ALL variables to "Standard", and "makes" all "standard" layers and styles.
>
> All drawings are started for an appropriate template with all "standard" settings. Should anything be changed or purged, type SETUP and enter and its all back to "normal". You can even set it to run everytime to open a drawing, if you like.

I've done the same thing for years but mine is called DSU (drawing
setup). If I happen to purge standard layers, text styles, dimstyles,
etc I just type DSU Enter and all is back to the way it should be.
--
Dave - DDP
Acad 2010 64 bit on Win 7 Pro
Intel I7-860 @2.8GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX260
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

We call ours RESET, does the same thing.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 13 of 13
chillme1

Would it be possible to review your standards setup file or, maybe, a code snippet or, at least, an explanation of how this accomplished?

Also, is this performed within a custom version of the ACADDOC.lsp or as an independent LISP / SCRIPT file?

Thanks,

Clint Hill Edited by: chillme1 on Feb 4, 2010 4:40 AM

Clint Hill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report