Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stanadard: Best Practice for use of Annotation Scaling?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
1003 Views, 3 Replies

Stanadard: Best Practice for use of Annotation Scaling?

I've been around AutoCAD for more years than I wish to mention.

The method for standard text size (3/32) for text (in Model Space) that will be plotted at a 1/4" = 1'-0 should should be sized 0.09375 x 48 = 4.5.

I am still a bit new to Annotation Scaling. I think Annotation Scaling does this automatically. But if your text size standards call for a smallest size to be 3/32... but with an exception of 5/64 for say... Pipe Labels centered on the pipe. 

Can Annotative Dimension styles be set up to put dim text at paper space height of 3/32, leadered text at 3/32? But pipe labels at 5/64... a block, or MEP Pipe label?      

I wonder if we might discuss the best practice use of Annotation Scaling in terms of CAD Standards.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: mdhutchinson

That is one thing that has not changed and still remains true: you need more than one text style for each text that does not need to plot at 3/32 text size (large labels, smaller text, and so on). Annotative is to keep the text size consistant in all viewport scales, it is not the solution to alter 3/32 plot size or the text.

Give them logical names (don't call anything STANDARD) to sort through them all in a file.

Message 3 of 4
mdhutchinson
in reply to: pendean

good advice...

I adhere to, as a rule, company standard text styles aught to have text height set to 0... so autocad prompts the user... Or, is it better to make the company standard text style for smallest text height Annotative with Paper text height set to 3/32"???

... one question though... If you don't call anything 'Standard'... what name might you suggest for the company standard 3/32 text?  .... 

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: mdhutchinson

I set the annotative size to 3/32", I don't allow a user to decide anything, that's how you lose control of company standards.

Common names used that I've seen have names similar to these:

NOTES, NOTES-small, LABELS, LABELS-small

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report