Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow file browsing, related to acshellextension.dll

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1439 Views, 7 Replies

Slow file browsing, related to acshellextension.dll

We recenlty upgraded from Autocad 2005/ Inventor 11 to 2010 versions of both.  Machines are Windows XP.  We used a network install point and after ACAD/INV is installed on a machine it significantly slows file browsing down.  Doesn't matter if the cad programs are running or not.  On startup the whole machine is sluggish and opening, saving, browsing,etc. are painfully slow.  Wiping a machine clean and rebuilding it had no affect.  We have finally narrowed the problem down to acshellextension.dll.  Disabling this brings all computers back to normal functionality.  I have a ticket into Autodesk thru my reseller, but I am still waiting for feedback.  Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue?  Any negative effects to disabling this dll?  Any ideas on why this dll has caused this problem?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

What are your XP PC specs?

Was any other software "upgraded" or added as well as 2010 versions of AutoCAD/INV?

XP SP3?

Network type?

Are users "power" or "admin" or stripped down access users in Windows?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

XP Prof v2002 sp3

Xeon 3.2 Ghz

2 GB RAM

We run on a Novell network, but are in transition to Windows shared services- the new CAD license server is a Windows shared server.  Users are admin.  I am not IT so that is all the info I know.  We did upgrade our document control software, Adept, after upgrading the CAD software, but the problem exists before it is ever loaded.  As soon as we install INV/ACAD the computers slow down.  As I noted, disabling this dll fixes the problem, but no one has been able to figure out/ explain why so far.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Something I left out in my original post- the current "fix" is specifically disabling AcColumnHandler Class shell extension that uses this acshellextensiondll.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

We have the same issue.  How do you disable the AcColumnHandler Class shell extension?

Message 6 of 8
JamesMaeding

get shellexview prog from ithe internet, its the only way to go to see what is installed.

You can then click on an item, disable it, or do a variety of things.

One is to open the items GUID entry in regedit.

I use that to uninstall items by hand.

Just try the disable item for now, regedit may be too heavy handed.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Have you heard anything from Autodesk yet.  I disable the AcColumnHandler extension and that took care of the problem for now.

Message 8 of 8
JamesMaeding

Nothing from Autodesk, they avoid tougher questions like this on the DG until you put in a sub request and push on it for a week.  Fine with me, free is free, but I wish they would not advertise how much "better" their DG's are now, and how they participate more. It's ok, I vote with purchases. 

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report