Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
procadman
170 Views, 8 Replies

Server XP or 2000

We have a 2000 Pro Server. It works great with our entire system, I love it and its very easy to maintain.

Q. Is XP server worth migrating to. We are building a new office and buying a new server. Are there a lot of cad problems with XP server?
- upgrading, still
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: procadman

Why not got for Win2003 Server? Latest and greatest, start the new office right. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

"Dean Saadallah" wrote... > Why not got for Win2003 Server? Uh, cost.... unless you believe Micro$oft's propaganda... > Latest and greatest, Only compared to other M$ products....
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I just looked around and did not see THAT much of a price difference. WHat are you referencing? CAL's? Why not get the best bang for the buck and get Small Business Server?
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

First of all, there is no XP Server product. Secondly, I think it would be short-sighted to avoid evaluating Small Business Server 2003 and have to concur with Dave's suggestion. -- <%= Clinton Gallagher A/E/C Consulting, Web Design, e-Commerce Software Development Wauwatosa, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin USA NET csgallagher@ REMOVETHISTEXT metromilwaukee.com URL http://www.metromilwaukee.com/clintongallagher/ "Dave Mullins" wrote in message news:410177fe$1_1@newsprd01... > I just looked around and did not see THAT much of a price difference. > WHat are you referencing? CAL's? > Why not get the best bang for the buck and get Small Business Server? > > > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

I've implmented both Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2003 Server, and Win2K3 has it all over Win2K Server. Win2K is older and obsolete anyway. Remember that it predates Windows XP by quite some time. Win2K3 is about 3,000x more secure (out of the box) for example. It also supports a ton more hardware as well. Very important when it comes to printers, where driver issues have caused serious issues with 2000/XP clients in AutoCAD. It's faster. Maybe. I guess. Setting up most of the major required services (AD, DNS, DHCP) is easier. Most of the right settings are not the default, instead of you having to study and research what everything "should" be. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:00:46 GMT, civilychallenged wrote: >We have a 2000 Pro Server. It works great with our entire system, I love it and its very easy to maintain. > >Q. Is XP server worth migrating to. We are building a new office and buying a new server. Are there a lot of cad problems with XP server?
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Do not upgrade unless you are going to be using the new features in 2003 server. If you are going to use these new features, IT IS WORTH IT. If you are just going to use 2003 with the same tech as 2000... dont bother All the other IS and IT guys are going to be 'flipping out' at this post but I really do feal that its not worth an upgrade unless you are going to use the features. "civilychallenged" wrote in message news:29797874.1090598476505.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > We have a 2000 Pro Server. It works great with our entire system, I love it and its very easy to maintain. > > Q. Is XP server worth migrating to. We are building a new office and buying a new server. Are there a lot of cad problems with XP server?
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

I'm sure you can still pick up WinNT cheap too from other sources ;) SBS gets great reviews and has quite a few new features for small offices. I agree with the other two folks. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 9 of 9
procadman

Thank you everyone for your input.
- upgrading, still

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report