Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Login: Install as Administrator

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
john.laidler
622 Views, 21 Replies

Remote Login: Install as Administrator

I need to perform installations via remote, but the end user will not have admin rights. How can I remote in, then install utilizing my admin login? Edited by: jclaidler on Dec 8, 2009 2:42 PM
John Laidler
AutoCAD, Inventor and Vault

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
ScottHodges
in reply to: john.laidler

I know this is not an answer to your question, so please excuse me. Will AutoCAD run without users having administration rights ? I know in previous versions, despite autodesk saying only power user rights were required, AutoCAD would have problems unless users had administrator privileges.
Message 3 of 22
markdoel

our IT Teams simply remote login to remote computers using their admin logins to install software and perform other admin related tasks on computers in remote offices
Message 4 of 22
john.laidler

I wonder if they are doing anything extra? When I remote into another computer, the end user is logged in. They do not have admin rights, and mine will not carry thru to there computer.
John Laidler

Message 5 of 22
TravisNave

Right click setup.exe and Run as... Administrator or your domain credentials. Keep in mind that sometimes Autodesk will see an install done thru RDC as a violation to the EULA and it may prompt you with an error as such. Good Luck!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 6 of 22
markdoel

the IT guys always ask us to logout before they remote login to do administrative things like install software etc...if they are doing a remote login to talk us through something they do not ask us to logout......so maybe thats the answer. loagout before they remote login
Message 7 of 22
john.laidler

I have tried this, but we have the users locked down so much that option will not operate. There was a way thru the command prompt to allow an administrator to install software, but I can't remember what that was.
John Laidler

Message 8 of 22
strodeb

you could try creating a batch file that runs up the installer & then launching the batch file on the machine.

Some locked down networks are dumb enough to allow a batch file to run up applications with access to the reg (as batch files can been seen as access at an application level, not a user level).
----------------------------------------------
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so
Message 9 of 22
TravisNave

Try not locking down the users so much. There's absolutely no excuse for having a user run as a restricted user. In fact, the only reason this problem exists is because someone in your company has a power trip. I mean no offense, but to me it is a sign of an incompetent IT staff. I deploy hundreds of computers in my enterprise and all of them have local administrator privilege. It is a requirement to install Autodesk software and it some cases even to run it. Many of the problems associated with the product could be avoided if IT stopped handicapping their users. The bottom line is, if you can't fix a problem that is caused by your users, then you have absolutely no business being in the MIS department. Restricting the user is not preventative maintenance. Provide the rights and the problem disappears. Enough said. I'll get off my soap box now. Everybody else can hold their applause.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 10 of 22
john.laidler

We're a global company with about 5,000 AutoCAD users, with ONE IT department. Don't think thats going to be happening.
John Laidler

Message 11 of 22
TravisNave

Suit yourself. Btw, It was only 3000 users a month ago. You must be the only company in the world hiring right now. 😃

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

Ditto...
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert
Autodesk Manufacturing Implementation Certified Expert.
Instructor/Author/Sr. App Engr. Tel. (260) 399-6615
http://teknigroup.com
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous

Hi Travis,

No, they're not hiring - they've asked their accounting staff to do some
work 🙂

Regards,

Laurie Comerford

TravisNave wrote:
> Suit yourself. Btw, It was only 3000 users a month ago. You must be the only company in the world hiring right now. 😃
>
Message 14 of 22
john.laidler

Yes, we are hiring. But my responsiblity area just got increased. So thats why the numbers went up.
So yes, granting local admin rights is not in the cards. Any other suggestions, oh great one?
John Laidler

Message 15 of 22
TravisNave

There are all kinds of suggestions that you could potentially try to get around the fact that it would work if the restrictions weren't in place. Essentially all you are saying is, "I am in Indianapolis and I want to get to St. Louis, but I am not allowed to travel West. What else do you recommend?" Sure you can still get there, but it's a heck of a lot harder!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 16 of 22
john.laidler

IT management will not grant users local admin rights. So your suggestion, although a good one, is not realistic.
John Laidler

Message 17 of 22
TravisNave

It's all perspective. The solution is very realistic. It's IT Managment that is obtuse. The problem is with the company policy, not the software. I wish you the best of luck!

Autodesk Forums:
Message 18 of 22
john.laidler

Be that as it may. I know there is a way to accomplish this, I just can't remember.
John Laidler

Message 19 of 22
TravisNave

Yes. Control Panel > Users. Choose the Properties of the Domain user. For Group Membership, choose Other. Select Administrators from the list. Click OK to all boxes. Log off and back on as that user. Install. 😃

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 22
john.laidler

You're a funny one. If you don't have anything helpful, please refrain from responding and have a great weekend.
John Laidler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report