Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding new laptop spec's.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
morrissette
1489 Views, 8 Replies

Question regarding new laptop spec's.

My IT Dept. just informed that they are upgrading my laptop to the following:

HP EliteBook 8540p Notebook PC Dual Core PN: NU486AVe
15.6 "

Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor; Mobile Intel QM57 Chipset , (2.53 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 1066 MHz FSB) Up-to 3.06 GHz

NVIDIA NVS 5100 graphics with 1 GB dedicated DDR3 video mem

Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 32

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 (2 DIMM)

250GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive, HP ProtectTools Disk Encryption

15.6-inch diagonal LED-backlit HD anti-glare (1366 x 768 res)

HP Fingerprint Sensor

Intel Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 (2x2) Intel Turbo Boost Tech

Full-sized keyboard and enhanced dual pointing devices

DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL LightScribe Drive

8-Cell Limited 3 year warranty, 3 Yr Warranty

90W AC Adapter

I'm coming from a Dell Latitude D820 with 3 GB of RAM. Will the new HP be sufficient to run AutoCAD Map 2010, AutoCAD Raster Design 2010 and AutoCAD LT 2010 without any significant slow down? Thanks for your thoughts.

Jody in NH

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: morrissette

2 things stand out to me.

1. The windows 7 32 is the wrong os - it needs to be 64 bit, to handle ram over 4 gig.  I know the system says you'll get 4 g installed, but the 32 bit os won't allow access to all of it, and you'll have problems with acad software.  If you can get them to go to 8gigs you'd be better off.  Also, most of adsk's new products are 64 bit (they are available as 32bit, but you're heading backwards, not forwards.

2.  The laptop is too small.  You REALLY NEED a 17 min monitor size to do any real work with today's adask projects.  Even minor stuff, the program takes up so much space with menus, you'll spend most of your time panning & zooming.

Reid

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

2 Questions. Why 32 bit Windows? Why NVS videocard? LT will work fine as spec'ed but I wouldn't get an NVS videocard and I would get 64 bit to use your full 4 gig memory plus leave the option to upgrade down the road. Usability of extra memory certainly couldn't hurt plus th i5 is a good but not great chip. Certainly better than anything other than an i7. Windows 7 is slower than XP, so the extra memory is needed to make up the difference.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

In addition to the above, they are also hobbling you with a Centrino chipset: great for casual users that spend more time in MSWord and surfing that AutoCAD. Is that your usage pattern? They seem to be buying you a low end unit.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Dean, I think you are off the mark on Centrino chipsets. The Centrino concept initially was Intel sells the manufacturer certain parts that are designed by Intel to work together (LOL) and they get to put the Centrino logo on the laptop.

Now it simply means that you are getting an Intel WIFI and/or WIMAX card.

Intel Centrino Wireless

Intel Centrino Wireless is the brand for Intel Wi-Fi and WiMAX adapters. The product line includes:

• Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
  • Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
  • Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250
Message 6 of 9
pendean
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the correction.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

in addition to what others have said re get 64bit does it need to be a laptop?

unless you really need to be mobile you would be better of getting a desk top as you get more value for your money......its amazing how many people you see in offices today using laptops but who spend 95% of their time working at their desks comlaining that the laptop is to slow or the screen is to small.....Smiley Very Happy  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

A lot of places push lapotops since space is limited working in cubicles and IT can grab your whole system to take it in to the shop so much easier. Plus they use less electricity so they can act like they are "going green."

Message 9 of 9
morrissette

Thanks for all of the replies. I have convinced IT Dept. to hold off on the Elitebook. I agree with the laptop vs. desktop issue and being able to get more bang for the buck with a desktop, however, I do need the ability to be mobile at any given time due to the nature of our business (gas and electric utility).

Jody

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report