Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with: Dynamic blocks on tool palette and attributes

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Kenniston
832 Views, 10 Replies

Problems with: Dynamic blocks on tool palette and attributes

I have some newly minted dynamic blocks with visibility states, and multiple attributes. They work as required, until I place them on a tool palette and try to use them from the palette. Suddenly, all but one of my attributes are missing on the properties tab for the block. Anyone have any idea or work-around to fix this?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Kenniston

New clean never before seen the block drawing?

Does this happen from Design Center or using INSERT command?

Did this just start or has this been happening since 2-23-10?

Message 3 of 11
Kenniston
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Yes, testing it out in a clean drawing. It happens from the tool palette. I double checked to see if maybe it was the block itself, and when I insert the block itself, it works properly. Only seems to be happening when inserting them from the palette. This has been happening since the company has tried migrating its library to dynamic blocks, which has been the last couple of weeks.

Message 4 of 11
pendean

Is the toolpalette grabing the same exact dynblock from the same exact container file your INSERT test is?

If the same exact block is coming from the same exact source, there is no difference.

Check your sources and pathing.

Message 5 of 11
Kenniston

Yes, same exact blocks from the same exact source. Somehow, when being inserted from the palette, they are loosing all but one attribute.

Message 6 of 11
Charles_Shade

Post the block for others to try (if you can)

I wonder: Is the DynBlk named the same as the container drawing?

i.e. Is this a block within the container drawing and the container drawing, not the block, is being dragged to the palette.

Message 7 of 11
Kenniston
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Attached is a copy of one of the blocks. I even tried dropping it on the palette, and then reinsert into the same file. What happened, has been consistant. The palette version takes out all but one of the attributes.

Message 8 of 11
WilliamJ

I am going to ask a "stupid" question - how are you creating your tool palette from your dynamic block ..

Please be as specific as possible.

Message 9 of 11
Kenniston
in reply to: WilliamJ

Since we only have 2010 vanilla, and only remote knowledge on working with the tool palette customization, we are simply making the blocks, saving the master file with a layer turned off (one that is only a reference, with objects not to be displayed), we are using the drag and drop method.

Also I think I have solved the issue. It appears that if I make the all of the attributes 'visible' in the primary visibility state, which is also the default one coming from the palette, then they all carry over when inserted from the palette. Probably not the prettiest method, but it seems to work for now.

Message 10 of 11
Charles_Shade

Now that my brain is working...

I kept wondering why the grips for your Tags were showing up in multiple visibilities. Finally dawned on me.

You have multiple instances of attributes with the same Tag name. This cannot be. Each attribute has to have its own Tag name. Rename each attrib to a unique Tag and try the DynBlk. In the extreme you may need to recreate each attrib or the DynBlk. Also Attributes must be Locked to work properly in DynBlk's.

You may be able to use Fields to populate multiple attributes from a single source but alas that is beyond my knowledge (at this time).

Message 11 of 11
WilliamJ

That is probably the best thing about the discussion groups - with so many suggestions coming in from all people - one can usually figure out what the problem is.

For a really good discussion on Tool Palettes ( and other items ) - I strongly suggest checking out the au.autodesk.com ( Autodesk University ) website and then searching for Matt Murphys' courses on Tool Palettes, Cad Standards, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report