CAD Managers

sweber
Message 1 of 5 (149 Views)

pc3 file location

149 Views, 4 Replies
01-09-2006 09:44 AM
I am getting ready to implement a new server at our office. All of the plotter configuration files are stored on the existing server that is getting replaced. Is there a way to migrate the existing pc3 files to the new server where the workstations will be able to access them and be directed to the proper plotter. Or is there a way to change the plotter that the pc3 file references so the path changes over to the new server?
*David Allen
Message 2 of 5 (149 Views)

Re: pc3 file location

01-09-2006 05:21 PM in reply to: sweber
depends
If you can browse on the ports tab of the .pc3 file then yes you can.
But that is not always an option. Not sure why

--
Dave

wrote in message news:5054084@discussion.autodesk.com...
I am getting ready to implement a new server at our office. All of the
plotter configuration files are stored on the existing server that is
getting replaced. Is there a way to migrate the existing pc3 files to the
new server where the workstations will be able to access them and be
directed to the proper plotter. Or is there a way to change the plotter
that the pc3 file references so the path changes over to the new server?
Distinguished Contributor
cprettyman
Message 3 of 5 (149 Views)

01-10-2006 06:35 AM in reply to: sweber
There are two questions here, and I am not sure which one you are asking.
1. Can I move my existing .pc3 files from one network location to another, and make autocad see them?
2. Can I change my existing .pc3 files to point to a new printer (same device, shared from a new server)

The answer to #1 is YES, in fact it's not terribly hard - pc3s are just files, copy them to a new location, and change the Printer Configuration Search Path in everyones profile.

The answer to number 2 is SOMETIMES. As David Allen notes, sometimes you can browse the ports, and redirect the .pc3 to a different device, sometimes you can't. I think the difference is a function of the specific printer driver you are using, but I've never spent the time really diagnosing this - building a new .pc3 is a simple task.
*kemp
Message 4 of 5 (149 Views)

01-10-2006 01:37 PM in reply to: sweber
If I understand your question correctly you need to have mapped drives
(e.g. q:\cad\pc3\) and the new server has to have the exact same name as
the old server did and you shouldn't have any problems doing this.

sweber wrote:
> I am getting ready to implement a new server at our office. All of the plotter configuration files are stored on the existing server that is getting replaced. Is there a way to migrate the existing pc3 files to the new server where the workstations will be able to access them and be directed to the proper plotter. Or is there a way to change the plotter that the pc3 file references so the path changes over to the new server?
*Terry Drewes
Message 5 of 5 (149 Views)

01-10-2006 09:29 PM in reply to: sweber
Mapped drives from OLD Server A, should be same as NEW Server B. For
example, we have K:\ drive on the file server, shared as D:\Kurtz, for
office and cad standards, and mapped in the login script as K:\

We put plotter styles into an KCADX6 directory of standards for the OS
(XP64), and other CAD standards into-- KCAD. Thus plotter styles reside
in K:\KCADX6\Plotters (also, another folder for DRV, for drivers). Then,
setup acad to path accordingly for plotting setups.

Ciao!
~Terry

------------------------------------------------------------------------

sweber wrote:

>I am getting ready to implement a new server at our office. All of the plotter configuration files are stored on the existing server that is getting replaced. Is there a way to migrate the existing pc3 files to the new server where the workstations will be able to access them and be directed to the proper plotter. Or is there a way to change the plotter that the pc3 file references so the path changes over to the new server?
>
>
Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.