Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on file location structure logic?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
rapidcad
471 Views, 3 Replies

Opinions on file location structure logic?

Hey all, I’m wondering what the latest logic is on file location structure for AutoCAD 2013 on Win7. To be more specific, I’m wondering what others do for locating their customizations. I have taken a roll as a CAD Developer and eventually will take on the local CAD manger duties once the development of our future custom menu is done. However, in the meantime, I work under I.T. and corporate CAD managers who have some very scattered structure to their file locations. 

Of the many paths, one is a folder that we created under the "C:\Program Files\Auodesk|AutoCAD 2011" branch.

I don’t feel too good about us placing things in the Program Files folders on Windows 7. It seems to me that there were reasons to avoid this? Does anyone recall what those reasons are?

I’d like to double check my logic before I make a proposal to change things.

Thanks.

ADN CAD Developer/Operator
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: rapidcad

Items under the Program Files path can have restrictions based on user permissions, plus may be subject to overwriting with upgrades, they look a little odd if its to be common across multiple versions of a program ("So why keep the AutoCAD 2011 folder when we are using 2013?"), and being local files require some sort of scripting or distribution to keep up to date.  The same types of problems can be found under the Documents and Setting path.  I'm not sure if the new Autoloader system requires items such as the XML manifest to be located in the Program Files path or not.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 4
pendean
in reply to: rapidcad

Your Customizations.

Your Customization files and content.

Your Customization Folders.

Why use someone else' file structure when it comes to dealing with YOUR customzations? regardless of the 'program' being customized, IMHO those are best placed in a central location you have total control over, and not buried inside program folders on individual PCs.

Message 4 of 4
rapidcad
in reply to: pendean

Totally agree Dean. Unfortunately, I'm not presently in the driver's seat when it comes to this decision. I'm trying to influence a chnage here. I do however, appreciate their concern with laptop syncronization and would love to get everyone on AutoCAD 2013 and Autodesk 360 ASAP. However, my project will extend into next year, so we might not get this in place for a while.

Thanks for the clarity on the Program Files dgorsman. I have run into the restrictions before and you make me recall that if we write to a file through lisp, we can't count on being able to accomplish this if the UAC settings don't allow the user that permission.

That's what I needed - someone to jog my memory. Thanks!

Ron

ADN CAD Developer/Operator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report