Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old versions of AutoCAD

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
2418 Views, 31 Replies

Old versions of AutoCAD

Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of autocad when you own current licenses? -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
31 REPLIES 31
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

so again I go back to who would have an old copy that I could use. Probably no one and if they did I could not legally obtain it from them. "Tracy W. Lincoln" |>That is not what I got out of reading Daniel's post... I assume if a person |>or company *never upgraded* past R13 or R14 that would not be breaking any |>laws. I do not think I would personally want to do business with a person |>or company that doesn't at least stay on currently supported release, but |>then again that is just my opinion. |> |>As for your other comments about giving away, selling or transfering |>upgraded (older) releases, yes that is not permitted...and that is just not |>an "Autodesk law" that is any software vendor with a licensing agreement... |>have a look at any vendors agreement. AutoCAD is not freeware or shareware. |> |>As far as tracking you down? If you are breaking the law, they have every |>right to claim what is/was due them. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 22 of 32
Anonymous

You would not have to obtain the old copy from them. Tracy is correct, that is not what I meant. I meant that you could hire them to use their legal copy to do work for you. -- Daniel J. Altamura, R.A. Altamura Architectural Consulting and SoftWorx, Autodesk Authorized Developer ----------------------------------------------------------------- "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:2oep30hqtt3dpkhncduh0s30qhlums8eu5@4ax.com... > so again I go back to who would have an old copy that I could use. Probably > no one and if they did I could not legally obtain it from them. > > "Tracy W. Lincoln" > |>That is not what I got out of reading Daniel's post... I assume if a person > |>or company *never upgraded* past R13 or R14 that would not be breaking any > |>laws. I do not think I would personally want to do business with a person > |>or company that doesn't at least stay on currently supported release, but > |>then again that is just my opinion. > |> > |>As for your other comments about giving away, selling or transfering > |>upgraded (older) releases, yes that is not permitted...and that is just not > |>an "Autodesk law" that is any software vendor with a licensing agreement... > |>have a look at any vendors agreement. AutoCAD is not freeware or shareware. > |> > |>As far as tracking you down? If you are breaking the law, they have every > |>right to claim what is/was due them. > > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 23 of 32
Anonymous

I need to give a user in my office use of an older version of autocad. They are not going to goto some other persons company to load some program on there systems to use some old program? Would you let some stranger into your company during work hours to use an old copy of autocad that you are no longer legally allowed to have? "Daniel J. Altamura, R.A." |>You would not have to obtain the old copy from them. Tracy is correct, that |>is not what I meant. I meant that you could hire them to use their legal |>copy to do work for you. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 24 of 32
old-cadaver

You're missing the point.

CONTRACT a company that is still legally using an older version to do the work you desire. We have a local reproduction company that keeps a legal seat "capability" of everything back to R10. And from there he still has some old routines that will dxf down to V2.5.
Message 25 of 32
Anonymous

I think your missing the point. The engineer wants to sit at his desk and do his work. By the time it took to work out some arrangement, goto an office that had R13 setup, he could already did the calc's by hand. OLD-CADaver |>You're missing the point. |> |>CONTRACT a company that is still legally using an older version to do the work you desire. We have a local reproduction company that keeps a legal seat "capability" of everything back to R10. And from there he still has some old routines that will dxf down to V2.5. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 26 of 32
patrick_aps

I think you do no offence of any law or licence agreement when, but only when:
-> you bought legally R13
-> you still use it now.
-> you maybe bought another copy of R13 (2nd License) and upgraded that to 2004, or bought a new license of 2004.
And then you are allowed to use them both on the same computer.
If you are legal, I see no offence in using a copied CD-rom to install, as long as you know your own licence number and/or hardware lock, so i see no problem in borrowing a CD media and copy it. Copying the "personalisation disk" (until R13) IS an offence of the license agreement.
As for the reason of staying with R13. I can agree completely. I know several offices who had specially tailor made solutions for automaticly drawing something on R12 or R14. They still use it (old computer on DOS) to generate the original DWG. Then they open it in R2004 to finalize it. When you make the extra investment of such programming, you want to profit from that investment as long as possible. Usuing it 18 months (time between 2 releases of AutoCAD) is just not enough time to reach the Break-even-point.
Message 27 of 32
old-cadaver

I got your point, I was pointing out the other poster's point. :O)

The blunt answer to your problem is you're outa luck. You've irreversibly upgraded one piece of software without upgrading the one required for this particular endeavor. Because of your choice to upgrade AutoCAD, your remaining choices have been reduced to: upgrade the other software, contract out the effort, or offer the engineer a sharp pencil.
Message 28 of 32
Anonymous

absolutely agree. My old company was stuck on R14 for the same reason. I just wish autodesk would change its licensing policies. If I own 2004 I should leagally be allowed to use any version before that I wish. I guess the only solution is to just go do it and not tell anyone :) patrick_aps |>I think you do no offence of any law or licence agreement when, but only when: |>-> you bought legally R13 |>-> you still use it now. |>-> you maybe bought another copy of R13 (2nd License) and upgraded that to 2004, or bought a new license of 2004. |>And then you are allowed to use them both on the same computer. |>If you are legal, I see no offence in using a copied CD-rom to install, as long as you know your own licence number and/or hardware lock, so i see no problem in borrowing a CD media and copy it. Copying the "personalisation disk" (until R13) IS an offence of the license agreement. |>As for the reason of staying with R13. I can agree completely. I know several offices who had specially tailor made solutions for automaticly drawing something on R12 or R14. They still use it (old computer on DOS) to generate the original DWG. Then they open it in R2004 to finalize it. When you make the extra investment of such programming, you want to profit from that investment as long as possible. Usuing it 18 months (time between 2 releases of AutoCAD) is just not enough time to reach the Break-even-point. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 29 of 32
KLYPH

In the past, whenever a new release of AutoCAD came out, we knew we could print older files in the new version. So, there was no need to keep an older version. AutoCAD Release-2000 was a whole new world, for the better. But, in Release-14, we would have all of our sheets arrayed out in the single Paper Space that was available back then. There was a view for each sheet and we had only to plot that view. Very simple. While Release-2000 is much better, you can't just open one of those older files and start printing. You have to create a layout for each sheet. That means that one is facing a lot of time & work to print any of the thousands of sheets of past projects. One should be allowed to keep a Release-14 just for printing old projects. Read Ya Later -KLYPH
Message 30 of 32
Anonymous

?? If you are printing one at a time, just on the occasion that you may need it - there is no real change- and if you are printing "thousands" can't you use a script file? Layouts - unless you name them are always gonna be layout1 or layout2 (if you use multiple layouts) - wouldn't the same rules apply for 2000+ drawings? Matt "KLYPH" wrote in message news:32898726.1078413692619.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > In the past, whenever a new release of AutoCAD came out, we knew we could print older files in the new version. So, there was no need to keep an older version. AutoCAD Release-2000 was a whole new world, for the better. But, in Release-14, we would have all of our sheets arrayed out in the single Paper Space that was available back then. There was a view for each sheet and we had only to plot that view. Very simple. While Release-2000 is much better, you can't just open one of those older files and start printing. You have to create a layout for each sheet. That means that one is facing a lot of time & work to print any of the thousands of sheets of past projects. One should be allowed to keep a Release-14 just for printing old projects. Read Ya Later -KLYPH
Message 31 of 32
old-cadaver

>>you can't just open one of those older files and start printing<<

Why not?

>>You have to create a layout for each sheet<<

No, you can plot just like you did for R14
Message 32 of 32
Anonymous

You are not forced to create separate layouts... and plotting named views is still supported? but here's something that may/may not help you: VIEWTOLAYOUT plot utility http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS37393 -- ************************************************************** Please, DO NOT send technical requests to me via private e-mail ************************************************************** Tracy W. Lincoln Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator http://www.autodesk.com/discussion-announcements "KLYPH" wrote in message news:32898726.1078413692619.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > In the past, whenever a new release of AutoCAD came out, we knew we could print older files in the new version. So, there was no need to keep an older version. AutoCAD Release-2000 was a whole new world, for the better. But, in Release-14, we would have all of our sheets arrayed out in the single Paper Space that was available back then. There was a view for each sheet and we had only to plot that view. Very simple. While Release-2000 is much better, you can't just open one of those older files and start printing. You have to create a layout for each sheet. That means that one is facing a lot of time & work to print any of the thousands of sheets of past projects. One should be allowed to keep a Release-14 just for printing old projects. Read Ya Later -KLYPH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report