Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old versions of AutoCAD

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
Anonymous
2416 Views, 31 Replies

Old versions of AutoCAD

Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of autocad when you own current licenses? -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I *believe* that we're supposed to uninstall older versions if we install an 'upgrade' version. -- Andy Rollins CAD Manager Jones & Beach Engineers, Inc.
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous

An excerpt from the 2002 EULA: ------------------------------------ If this Software is labeled as an upgrade ("New Version") to software previously licensed to you ("Previous Version"), you must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies resident on your hard disk drive, and return the hardware lock, if any, which accompanied the software previously licensed to you (unless Autodesk explicitly notifies you that the hardware lock is to be used with the upgrade), within sixty (60) days of acquiring the New Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require you to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. ------------------------------------ So you have 60 days to destroy the version from which you upgraded. "Dave Lewis" wrote... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses?
Message 4 of 32
Anonymous

About the Legalities of having an older version installed; check with your reseller. I believe autodesk recently revised it'd EULA to allow older version to be installed on the same machine as a newer one. As long as only one version is being used at a time. As far a getting older versions; I know of no legal way to purchase an obsolete version. Question: Why would you need an older version? 2004 will open any previous version's drawing. You can save back to 2000, use batch conversion to go back to 14 or save as a R12 DXF. If your dealing with anyone using something older than 12 leave them in the dust. I've never needed a previous version once we've fully committed to the next. Allen "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:t0v930hna9p1kudgac18ido00a6lc9nkdv@4ax.com... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses? > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 5 of 32
Anonymous

An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs to use it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the next 10 years :) I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we could buy the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly ever use it and it is not worth the money to upgrade. Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down $4000 to run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know what the previous sys admin did with them. "Allen Jessup" |>About the Legalities of having an older version installed; check with your |>reseller. I believe autodesk recently revised it'd EULA to allow older |>version to be installed on the same machine as a newer one. As long as only |>one version is being used at a time. |> |>As far a getting older versions; I know of no legal way to purchase an |>obsolete version. |> |>Question: Why would you need an older version? 2004 will open any previous |>version's drawing. You can save back to 2000, use batch conversion to go |>back to 14 or save as a R12 DXF. If your dealing with anyone using something |>older than 12 leave them in the dust. |> |>I've never needed a previous version once we've fully committed to the next. |> |>Allen |> |>"Dave Lewis" wrote in message |>news:t0v930hna9p1kudgac18ido00a6lc9nkdv@4ax.com... |>> Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 |>versions of autocad |>> sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the |>install disc so is there |>> a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal |>to have the old versions of |>> autocad when you own current licenses? |>> -------------------------- |>> Dave Lewis |>> CAD Manager |>> http://www.cadthinking.com |>> |>> Just say no to HTML Posts! |> -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 6 of 32
Anonymous

I love that part, "show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed." What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's being used as targets for skeet shooting. "R.K. McSwain" wrote in message news:40350ee0$1_3@newsprd01... An excerpt from the 2002 EULA: ------------------------------------ If this Software is labeled as an upgrade ("New Version") to software previously licensed to you ("Previous Version"), you must destroy all copies of the Previous Version, including any copies resident on your hard disk drive, and return the hardware lock, if any, which accompanied the software previously licensed to you (unless Autodesk explicitly notifies you that the hardware lock is to be used with the upgrade), within sixty (60) days of acquiring the New Version. Autodesk reserves the right to require you to show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has been destroyed. ------------------------------------ So you have 60 days to destroy the version from which you upgraded. "Dave Lewis" wrote... > Is there any way to get old versions of AutoCAD? Even though we own 2004 versions of autocad > sometimes you need an older version like 12 or 13. We no longer have the install disc so is there > a way of getting install disc. What about the legalities. Is it illegal to have the old versions of > autocad when you own current licenses?
Message 7 of 32
old-cadaver

>>What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's
being used as targets for skeet shooting. <<

Nope, the CD's with an extra hole or two will suffice.
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:21:28 -0500, "Jason" wrote: >I love that part, "show satisfactory proof that the Previous Version has >been destroyed." What are you supposed to do, film a video of the CD's >being used as targets for skeet shooting. In the days of the personalisation floppy, we had to send in a photocopy of a cut through original floppy with the upgrade order otherwise nothing would be sent out.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous

ww just cut the photocopy in half. "Ian A. White" wrote in message news:boic30tgu1rst8fajd1hjonij4fqaa10to@4ax.com... > On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:21:28 -0500, "Jason" wrote: > In the days of the personalisation floppy, we had to send in a photocopy > of a cut through original floppy with the upgrade order otherwise > nothing would be sent out. >
Message 10 of 32
Anonymous

I understand your problem. However, to my knowledge, there is no legal way to obtain replacements. Are you running Vanilla Autocad of LDT. If your on LDT 2004 trying to get it back to R14 in a usable state is going to be another issue even if you find your disks. Your Engineer will just have to break out his Slide Rule and check his drawing the old fashioned way. Or maybe if your on LDT it can be done in the newer version and he just doesn't know about it. Allen "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:nnra30tsdqqk0t1s0v2l12ulo8tqmdfumb@4ax.com... > An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs to use > it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the next 10 years :) > I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we could buy > the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly ever use it > and it is not worth the money to upgrade. > > Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down $4000 to > run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. > > My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know what the > previous sys admin did with them. >
Message 11 of 32
Anonymous

backward compatibility of a drawing is not an issue here. What is the issue is autodesk changing its customization format. From what I can remember its like this R13=exe R14=exp 2000=arx 2000i=2000 arx 2002=new arx 2004=another new arx So I got a good exe program from R13 and its worthless, I can't use it. Who's fault is it? Well depends on who you ask, I guess its the cheep engineer who doesn't want to pay more money for a program that he already paid for. "Allen Jessup" |>I understand your problem. However, to my knowledge, there is no legal way |>to obtain replacements. Are you running Vanilla Autocad of LDT. If your on |>LDT 2004 trying to get it back to R14 in a usable state is going to be |>another issue even if you find your disks. Your Engineer will just have to |>break out his Slide Rule and check his drawing the old fashioned way. Or |>maybe if your on LDT it can be done in the newer version and he just doesn't |>know about it. |> |>Allen |> |> |>"Dave Lewis" wrote in message |>news:nnra30tsdqqk0t1s0v2l12ulo8tqmdfumb@4ax.com... |>> An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs |>to use |>> it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the |>next 10 years :) |>> I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we |>could buy |>> the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly |>ever use it |>> and it is not worth the money to upgrade. |>> |>> Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down |>$4000 to |>> run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. |>> |>> My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know |>what the |>> previous sys admin did with them. |>> |>
Message 12 of 32
old-cadaver

>>So I got a good exe program from R13 and its worthless, I can't use it. Who's fault is it? Well depends on who you ask, I guess its the cheep engineer who doesn't want to pay more money for a program that he already paid for. <<

Anytime one upgrades any piece of software, evaluation of the impact on other tools is necessary. If the engineer's program is required to execute the task, then there are two options; upgrade the engineer's program or don't upgrade AutoCAD. Failure to accomplish that evaluation in a timely manner results in two options; upgrade the engineer's program or don't use it. Neither of the decision branches above are the responsibility of the software vendors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
But, hey, that's just my opinion. To avoid misconceptions about the tone of this post it must to be read to the tune of "This Old Man", while constructing a mental picture of Bambi sleeping in a field of buttercups.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous

Why not try to find someone in your area (perhaps thru a local users group) that still has R13 or R14. Then you could ask them (or pay them) to help you out. -- Daniel J. Altamura, R.A. Altamura Architectural Consulting and SoftWorx, Autodesk Authorized Developer ----------------------------------------------------------------- "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:g01f30lhvpu0et5cbmj08kfl6fmvnh8e5n@4ax.com... > backward compatibility of a drawing is not an issue here. What is the issue is > autodesk changing its customization format. From what I can remember its like this > R13=exe > R14=exp > 2000=arx > 2000i=2000 arx > 2002=new arx > 2004=another new arx > > So I got a good exe program from R13 and its worthless, I can't use it. Who's > fault is it? Well depends on who you ask, I guess its the cheep engineer who > doesn't want to pay more money for a program that he already paid for. > > "Allen Jessup" > |>I understand your problem. However, to my knowledge, there is no legal way > |>to obtain replacements. Are you running Vanilla Autocad of LDT. If your on > |>LDT 2004 trying to get it back to R14 in a usable state is going to be > |>another issue even if you find your disks. Your Engineer will just have to > |>break out his Slide Rule and check his drawing the old fashioned way. Or > |>maybe if your on LDT it can be done in the newer version and he just doesn't > |>know about it. > |> > |>Allen > |> > |> > |>"Dave Lewis" wrote in message > |>news:nnra30tsdqqk0t1s0v2l12ulo8tqmdfumb@4ax.com... > |>> An engineer pooped onto my desk a program that runs in R13. He just needs > |>to use > |>> it for a few checks on a drawing and then back into the closet for the > |>next 10 years :) > |>> I went to the web site and there is a free upgrade to R14. Of course we > |>could buy > |>> the latest version, but why? We already paid for the software, we hardly > |>ever use it > |>> and it is not worth the money to upgrade. > |>> > |>> Don't get me started on haestad products. We are not going to pop down > |>$4000 to > |>> run the latest watercad when the one we got for R14 runs just fine. > |>> > |>> My problem is that I cannot find any R14 disc in my office. I don't know > |>what the > |>> previous sys admin did with them. > |>> > |> >
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous

that would technically be illegal :P "Daniel J. Altamura, R.A." |>Why not try to find someone in your area (perhaps thru a local users group) |>that still has R13 or R14. Then you could ask them (or pay them) to help |>you out. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 15 of 32
Anonymous

ah but if the program was written in LiSP then it would work in 2004. I still have a lips that was written in R9 and it still works great. My fustration is that autodesk keeps changing the exe/exp/arx/vlx format between releases thus making old 3rd party app not work. Autocad should be made to run old "plug ins" OLD-CADaver |>Anytime one upgrades any piece of software, evaluation of the impact on other tools is necessary. If the engineer's program is required to execute the task, then there are two options; upgrade the engineer's program or don't upgrade AutoCAD. Failure to accomplish that evaluation in a timely manner results in two options; upgrade the engineer's program or don't use it. Neither of the decision branches above are the responsibility of the software vendors. -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 16 of 32
old-cadaver

>>Autocad should be made to run old "plug ins"<<

Why?

Those changes were made to achieve a greater flexibility and access newer programing functions. And it was your choice to upgrade to a level that no longer supported previously purchased software, you could have just as easily stayed with R9. Anytime you upgrade ANY software, the impact to existing software must be evaluated.

BTW we have lisp functions that were written for R14, that had to be "upgraded" to R2000 before they worked, and then again to R2002. One of the advantages to home-grown lisp is access to the source code, something you don't always get with 3rd party. It's also one of the headaches for upgrading, migrating all existing code to the new program.
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous

I don't understand why that would be illegal. It would be like outsourcing a job or contract labor, no? "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:nabl301pe1ob0cvjdeb4asj4c2e6ksb1l1@4ax.com... > that would technically be illegal :P > > "Daniel J. Altamura, R.A." > |>Why not try to find someone in your area (perhaps thru a local users group) > |>that still has R13 or R14. Then you could ask them (or pay them) to help > |>you out. > > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 18 of 32
Anonymous

"Dave Lewis" wrote: > that would technically be illegal :P How so? -- ************************************************************** Please, DO NOT send technical requests to me via private e-mail ************************************************************** Tracy W. Lincoln Assistant Moderator - Autodesk Discussion Forum http://www.autodesk.com/discussion-announcements
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous

because the autodesk license agreement is so restrictive that all you are allowed to do is use it. You can transfer it, you cannot sell it or give it away. Once you upgrade a product you are required to get arid of your old media. If some one upgraded their R13 versions to R14 and then gave me their R13 CD's then we would both be breaking autodesks laws. They didn't destroy their media. I would need a serial to install the software and you are not allowed to allow other people to use your serials. Then again the serial was upgraded and can no longer be used. Is that enough for the autodesk blood hounds to track you down? "Tracy W. Lincoln" |>"Dave Lewis" wrote: |>> that would technically be illegal :P |> |>How so? -------------------------- Dave Lewis CAD Manager http://www.cadthinking.com Just say no to HTML Posts!
Message 20 of 32
Anonymous

That is not what I got out of reading Daniel's post... I assume if a person or company *never upgraded* past R13 or R14 that would not be breaking any laws. I do not think I would personally want to do business with a person or company that doesn't at least stay on currently supported release, but then again that is just my opinion. As for your other comments about giving away, selling or transfering upgraded (older) releases, yes that is not permitted...and that is just not an "Autodesk law" that is any software vendor with a licensing agreement... have a look at any vendors agreement. AutoCAD is not freeware or shareware. As far as tracking you down? If you are breaking the law, they have every right to claim what is/was due them. -- ************************************************************** Please, DO NOT send technical requests to me via private e-mail ************************************************************** Tracy W. Lincoln Assistant Moderator - Autodesk Discussion Forum http://www.autodesk.com/discussion-announcements "Dave Lewis" wrote in message news:outn30pkqs46mgtt4e2uqtub3vo9if9ref@4ax.com... > because the autodesk license agreement is so restrictive that all you are allowed to do > is use it. You can transfer it, you cannot sell it or give it away. Once you upgrade a product > you are required to get arid of your old media. If some one upgraded their R13 versions to > R14 and then gave me their R13 CD's then we would both be breaking autodesks laws. > They didn't destroy their media. I would need a serial to install the software and you are not > allowed to allow other people to use your serials. Then again the serial was upgraded and > can no longer be used. Is that enough for the autodesk blood hounds to track you down? > > "Tracy W. Lincoln" > |>"Dave Lewis" wrote: > |>> that would technically be illegal :P > |> > |>How so? > > -------------------------- > Dave Lewis > CAD Manager > http://www.cadthinking.com > > Just say no to HTML Posts!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report