We are running 32-bit AutoCAD 2011 on 64-bit Windows 7 and using VBA code that in some instances interfaces with functions of Office 2007. We've only been able to do this by using Longbow Convertor software. However, the company plans to move to Office 2010 in Q1 2012 and when I did a test run of it, VAB in AutoCAD no longer works. Actually, it no longer loads. AutoCAD doesn't "see" that VBA is installed.
I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the VBA package, but when I do, instead of the several instances of VBA that show up in the left pane of the install window, only one instance appears. And VBA still won't initialize.
Does anyone know what might be causing this and wherther there's a way around it?
We've looked into updating our code to .net, but since we're transitioning to Revit we decided not to funnel fumds in that direction unless it's absolutely necessary. I realize that in a few years, when 2011 is no longer supported, we'll have to use AutoCAD without VBA at all, but by that time we hope to be dealing mostly with Revit.
VBA is dead.
Barely supported in AutoCAD anymore except for this unsupported add-on you found.
Does running your VBA in 64bit AutoCAD on your 64bit Win7 solve the problem?
Visual Basic Customization Forum for peer review and help/guidance is at:
No, running under 64-bit AutoCAD was the first thing I tried - and what we had preferred to do. Our older VBA code wouldn't work under that load at all.
If VBA is dead, it's odd that Office 2010 still supports it - at least in some form.
Thanks for the link; a lot of good information there. I never moved beyond lisp myself and have worked with outside programmers as our needs, few as they are, became more complex. Because of this, unless there was an automatic VB to .net conversion method, I'd have to pay someone to make the conversion. Given our intent to move to Revit, if I can't find a workaround, we may just have to accelerate our Revit move in those areas where we most use custom programming, which is in scheduling and block manipulation.
The solution to this issue is to remove the cache files with extension of EXD.
Note, on Windows 7, some users don't seem to be able to search into the appdata folders so if they cannot be found using search, just go to cmd and from the c:\ folder, do a
dir *.exd /s
I'm out of the office this week and away from my test machine but will give this a try next week. I have funcing for converting my VBA to 'NET and in some ways, even if this does work, Iit might be smart just to do the conversion.
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.