Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of users working on a model affect performance

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
bmullen
551 Views, 1 Reply

Number of users working on a model affect performance

Is there any Autodesk documnetation (Whitepaper) that provides some background / foundational information around Revit performance and oncurrent usage. We are finding that themore engineers we throw at a model (in deadline) situations the slower themodel seems to perform (Open/ Save/ Sync) operations. We have seen models that take 5-7 minutes to open on a weekend take 45 minutes on a weekday. We have 10+ users pwrking in the model during the week. I am not a Revit user, I am the IT/ network guy. I want to provide the right infrastructure to my engineering team but if this is a Revit prpoblem I don't want to chase my tail looking for an IT solution.

We have a GB network

Workstations have:

16GB RAM + 2GB video card

SSD HD

i7 3.6 Ghz proc

If there's any documentation out there about performance degradation with numbers of users I'd like to reference it in internal discussions

If there are tips for how to aleviate these issues - I'd like those too. Already we are advising:

• Close unnecessary worksets
  • Close inactive views
  • Sync schedule - tarde 1 top of hour, trade 2 bottom of hour

My inclination is to recommend shift work when we have a this need to "throw labor at a deadline". If we need man hours - maybe they have to spread out more through shiftwork possibly???

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
dhurtubise
in reply to: bmullen

Your right from A to Z. This is bad planning from the BIM Manager. Easiest solution is to split the model in 2/3.

The more users the slowest syncs gets because it needs to check more files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report