Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor Selection for AutoCAD 2013

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
AutoCUD
21595 Views, 15 Replies

Monitor Selection for AutoCAD 2013

I am trying to upgrade our monitors and would appreciate some feedback on what others are using. Is anyone using a 30" or larger display? Or is it better to go with two 24" or 27" displays? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advace for your comments.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: AutoCUD

32" Sharp Aquos and (2) 24" Asus 16:9 Monitors.

More is better!

DVI or HDMI connections only. VGA is not clear enough.

Message 3 of 16

My shared workstations have larger monitors (32" and 50" iirc), and my own workstation has 2 - 20".

I do like the larger monitor, it is good for viewing scans of prints. But, on the days I have to work on one of them for an extended period, I find that I do miss the application separation I typically enjoy with two separate monitors.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 16
dgorsman

Dual monitors are best.  Even with the "extra" space a widescreen monitor provides, its not enough with all the extra palettes, torn-off ribbon panels, PDF reference files, and the like.  Something else to keep in mind is monitor sizes are corner-corner, so a 16:9 28" monitor may actually be *shorter* than a 24" 4:3 monitor.  Thats one of the reasons I prefer the older, non-widescreen monitors.  That, and a pair of them extends to the limit of my readable field of view.  Anything beyond that isn't useful for much.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 16
rkmcswain

@AutoCUD wrote:

Is anyone using a 30" or larger display? Or is it better to go with two 24" or 27" displays? Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advace for your comments.

IMO - 2-24" is nice, 2-27" if you can swing the price difference.

We have some of both. The 24" is ±236 sq. in., while the 27" is ±306 sq. in. --- quite a difference.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 16

@Mistress0fTheDorkness wrote:

My shared workstations have larger monitors (32" and 50" iirc)

50"? Nice.

Is this a TV or a monitor?

Message 7 of 16

It's a monitor. The largest one IT had. Once we went over that size, it would be tvs from the av department and they were much more spendy.

~checking my project folder~ Ah, my bad, looks like my memory did not serve me well...  32" was correct, but, the other was actually a 42". 

Ah, according to the original proposal I received from the admin overseeing that space, she wanted a 50" or 60" tv and I had to make her settle for a 42" monitor instead. lol. I'm so mean.

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 8 of 16

What sort of resolutions are people using?

I've currently got a pair of 20" Dells on my desk, 1200x1600 which I consider a good setup. Hoever given the abundance of widescreens formatted for 1080 lines I'm curious as to how folks find this reduction in vertical space.

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 9 of 16

1366x768  32" Sharp Aquos

1920x1080 Asus 24" Monitor

All are widescreen 16:9 I believe

Message 10 of 16
rkmcswain
in reply to: GilesPhillips

@GilesPhillips wrote:

What sort of resolutions are people using?

1920 x 1080

Message 11 of 16
dgorsman
in reply to: GilesPhillips

3200 x 1200 spanned across two monitors.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 12 of 16
tstright
in reply to: dgorsman

Twin 27" wide screens and a 42" Vizio here....

Things are much easier with the larger screens.

"Only the Skilled Survive"
Message 13 of 16
Charles_Shade
in reply to: tstright

You hve to sit across the room to not be blinded by those. Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 16
tstright
in reply to: Charles_Shade

But I get free Tanning....

"Only the Skilled Survive"
Message 15 of 16
law22inoc
in reply to: rkmcswain

I work in the solar industry and do dewsigns as well plan reviews. I went with 2x 22" IPS monitors and 1x 27" ips in the center. I review the plans in pdfs on the 27" monitor and keep the notes for reviews on the 2x 22" monitors... When picking  monitor make sure the brightness is vibrant.. The duller the display the more you might miss if your doing what i do.

Good luck

Message 16 of 16

I'm currently running 2 x 23" wide screens joined with a Matrox Dualhead2go whcich gives me 1080 high x 3840 wide screen to arrange all my bits on. The vertical space is certainly restrictive and am now looking to replace both screens with the 4:3 ratio as this works better with all of the ribbons and tools running horizontal. I moved my Windows ribbon to vertical which helped a bit. Wide screens are more common and therefore more competitively priced.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report