Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lock Options Dialog box?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
380 Views, 6 Replies

Lock Options Dialog box?

Greetings guys!

I have a problem that's been bugging me for a while, but it's now gotten bad enough for me to seek outside help: How can I lock the options menu? A minimum of 4 people sit at a station any given day and, despite my asking nicely, begging, pleading and threatening lives.... they still change everything from background colors to cursor size to command line text color on a daily basis. I'm now spending 15-30 minutes every morning resetting the profiles to default for the day's classes. Is these any way to lock these options so that they can't go in there and change them? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
apjones
in reply to: Anonymous

I think rather than trying to lock the interface, I'd just set up a default profile to reload and reset my base info.  Then, I'd set the desktop shot cut to load using that profile.

Pete

>Please Accept as Solution and give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
jggerth
in reply to: apjones

Well, the kids could save the profile, so their changes would come up instead of the preferred settings.

I'd probably look at creating an acad.lsp that will force each session to start with the setvars set as I wanted them.  then no matter what they play with, the next time an acad session starts  the settings revert.

Message 4 of 7
ukdxb012

Could you not use "Reset settings to default" in the AutoCAD folder on the Start Menu?

Alternatively you could just reset the profiles, possibly look at a drag and drop LISP file for AutoCAD to reload a profile from a locked down location, setup desktop shortcuts with switches to profiles never used before which will creat blank profiles.

As a thought, you could utilise the Online Tab in options and ask the students to create autodesk id's, sync their settings with their account so when they use the machine ask them to log in with their id and they will get their settings. Also because it's the cloud, the settings will also follow the users from workstation to workstation. Give it a try...

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-electrical/downloads/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2015/ENU...

Duncan Brannan
UK/EMEIA CAD Operations Manager
Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
jggerth
in reply to: ukdxb012

Let's clarify -- are all these users logging into the same domain or machine account?

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: ukdxb012

We have tried the Autodesk 360 profiles before and either they wouldn't use them or would forget to log out. It wasn't a very productive experiment. I'd like the reset to just be automatic everytime they turn on Cad or open a dwg. (The "reset all autocad settings" feature isn't really an option because I'd have to manually go and do that every morning. I need something more automated)

And yes, all logging into same domain with same windows user log-in/password.

Sorry guys, didn't mean to throw y'all a curve ball!

Message 7 of 7
jggerth

ouch -- single user name for multiple users is tough.

I think an ACAD.LSP that re-does all the setvars is your best bet.  

Or, Presuming you installed the Express Tools....with the SYSVDLG tool

in your desktop icon, set the startup switches to include "/s  path/defaults.scr"

you can do a (findfile "defaults".scr")  in an autocad session to see where the path is on you installation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report