CAD Managers

Active Contributor
jmiller0621
Message 1 of 4 (746 Views)
Accepted Solution

Lap Top Docking Stations

746 Views, 3 Replies
09-28-2013 07:32 PM

Hello All. I have looked everywhere, but can't find an answer if a USB 3.0 docking station works well for just doing run of the mill Civil 3D and Infraworks stuff (Revit is another consideration but not necessary.)  The laptop is new and top notch, but I keep hearing issues about the USB cord being a limiting connection when connecting two monitors.  Thanks for your help.

Jesse

Laptops are just plain slower than desktops: whether it connects to a docking station with one type of USB cord or another will not dramatically improve the inherent slowness.

Faster is better always so IMHO maximum speed can be best achieved by plugging the laptop directly to the network using the built in ports and the desktop peripherals can be plugged in any other way you want.

Dean is right.  Plus, a docking station typically has an unintended side-effect of having its own network MAC address.  This can cause serious issues with licensing. 

For example, if you have network licenses and you borrow a license while docked, then undock, your borrowed license will no longer function.  This can also affect stand-alone in the same way, if you have activated while docked.  Sometimes the perceived hardware change will invalidate your stand-alone licensing.

I too recommend direct connect of the laptop to the network and external devices.  This is what I do in my enterprise.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 4 (736 Views)

Re: Lap Top Docking Stations

09-29-2013 04:24 AM in reply to: jmiller0621
Laptops are just plain slower than desktops: whether it connects to a docking station with one type of USB cord or another will not dramatically improve the inherent slowness.

Faster is better always so IMHO maximum speed can be best achieved by plugging the laptop directly to the network using the built in ports and the desktop peripherals can be plugged in any other way you want.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 3 of 4 (710 Views)

09-30-2013 10:44 AM in reply to: jmiller0621

Dean is right.  Plus, a docking station typically has an unintended side-effect of having its own network MAC address.  This can cause serious issues with licensing. 

For example, if you have network licenses and you borrow a license while docked, then undock, your borrowed license will no longer function.  This can also affect stand-alone in the same way, if you have activated while docked.  Sometimes the perceived hardware change will invalidate your stand-alone licensing.

I too recommend direct connect of the laptop to the network and external devices.  This is what I do in my enterprise.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Active Contributor
jmiller0621
Message 4 of 4 (701 Views)

09-30-2013 11:04 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you... I guess I will just have to plug/unplug every day... time for a wireless mouse and keyboard!

Announcements
Manufacturing CAD & IT Manager Resource
Additional information for installing, licensing & deploying Inventor, the Product Design Suites and Factory Design Suites.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.