Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lap Top Docking Stations

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jmiller0621
4223 Views, 6 Replies

Lap Top Docking Stations

Hello All. I have looked everywhere, but can't find an answer if a USB 3.0 docking station works well for just doing run of the mill Civil 3D and Infraworks stuff (Revit is another consideration but not necessary.)  The laptop is new and top notch, but I keep hearing issues about the USB cord being a limiting connection when connecting two monitors.  Thanks for your help.

Jesse

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
pendean
in reply to: jmiller0621

Laptops are just plain slower than desktops: whether it connects to a docking station with one type of USB cord or another will not dramatically improve the inherent slowness.

Faster is better always so IMHO maximum speed can be best achieved by plugging the laptop directly to the network using the built in ports and the desktop peripherals can be plugged in any other way you want.
Message 3 of 7
TravisNave
in reply to: jmiller0621

Dean is right.  Plus, a docking station typically has an unintended side-effect of having its own network MAC address.  This can cause serious issues with licensing. 

For example, if you have network licenses and you borrow a license while docked, then undock, your borrowed license will no longer function.  This can also affect stand-alone in the same way, if you have activated while docked.  Sometimes the perceived hardware change will invalidate your stand-alone licensing.

I too recommend direct connect of the laptop to the network and external devices.  This is what I do in my enterprise.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 4 of 7
jmiller0621
in reply to: TravisNave

Thank you... I guess I will just have to plug/unplug every day... time for a wireless mouse and keyboard!

Message 5 of 7

So there is no other work around, no register hack or software update?
Message 6 of 7

We use Microsoft Managed Devices - this wasn't an issue on the older version of Lenovo's. What's changed?
Message 7 of 7

@branko_stojsavljevic wrote:
We use Microsoft Managed Devices - this wasn't an issue on the older version of Lenovo's. What's changed?

You just listed "what changed".

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report