Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with renaming an xref file.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
riznasp
1162 Views, 3 Replies

Issues with renaming an xref file.

Friends,

I have a title block frame inserted as xref into hundreds of files. When i rename this xref it shows unreferenced in all the other files where i've inserted and thats normal. 

My question is how can we sort this issue by fixing all at one go. I'm hoping there will be a way which is something similar to "Reference Manager" or with a lisp program. Please help me.

Regards

Riznas

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rkmcswain
in reply to: riznasp

Looks like this thread has a good start at it.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=35702.0

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 4
abubakars
in reply to: riznasp

Riznas,

Try with BatchInDatabase or BatchInEditor which are free and available to download from Autodesk Exchange Apps  .

For a single xref file, use the command "Xref-Replace Path" and you can add multiple times for every xref file

Xref-Replace Path.PNG

For multiple files , you could do that using command "Redirect Refences"

you can direct all references to point to new folder by entering *  at the old path filed and give new folder name in the new path field or you can use this as find/Replace strings in path including file name

for an example:

Let say,You have Xref files for the Preliminary phase which starts with X-ABC-000-FILE NAME and wants to move to next phase Detail Design but wants to keep the preliminary xrefs as it is until the submission is approved or to resubmit again with some revision or for any other reason.

Now you have files copied to new location that is under Detail design folder (as shown in the image) with new name X-ABC-001-FILE NAME

here you have new folder plus renamed xref files (from X-ABC-000- to X-ABC-001-).

Now enter strings "P:\PRELIMINARY DESIGN\XREF\X-ABC-000-" in the old path and

"P:\DETAIL DESIGN\XREF\X-ABC-001-" in the new path

this operation will change all xref files path matching with sarting string to new path string, if you have multiple directories then you can add this command multiple times for each different folders.

Redirect References.PNG

Watch the avalable videos in the website http://www.CADManagerTools.com to learn how to use the available commands

Message 4 of 4
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: abubakars

@abubakars. this tool is no longer free...

If you know a free method please post.

Note i can't not workout how xref redirect works. Can i assume that it doesn't actually rename the files. It only fixes the references.

Therefore here is what i have done

1. Rename Xrefs
  2. Open BID enter old path, new path
  3. Run on files (you can only run on three in free version)
  4. Should be done, but it is not done.

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report