Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7
dwing
575 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Drawing views

I am trying to get an Inventor Part Drawing to now point to an assembly model using the same views. 

We are changing a machining part to an assembly (adding some plugs) and I'd like the drawing of the part to now point to the new assembly.  (I don't want to have to re-draw the complex drawing.)

I have tried using a Derived component but that doesn't give me what I am looking for.

Dan

www.yf.com

www.tactair.com

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Lance127
in reply to: dwing

There is not anyway to reassociate a view with another part and keep the annotation connected, that I know of anyway.

What do you mean by redraw the complex drawing though?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 3 of 7
dwing

OK.  What we are doing is adding some plugs to a casting, and the machining drawing will now become an assembly drawing as well.  There are multiple views with complex sections and projections.  It's a complex part.

I have not figured out how to make the views on the original part drawing point to the new assembly because once the views are made from a part, they cannot be made to reference an assembly.  I was hoping to not have to re-draw the whole drawing by preserving the existing views.  

I did try and make my new assembly into a Derived Part.  It worked as far as being able to keep all the drawing existing views, but now the 'assembly' was no longer an assembly, it was just one big part.  No BOM, etc.

Oh well, I've already got it half re-drawn now anyway.

Dan

www.yf.com

www.tactair.com

Message 4 of 7
Lance127

I am still unclear. When you say you are "redrawing"  the drawing What exactly are you doing? Are you talking about redoing the annotation or is there something else you are doing?

Lance W.
Inventor Pro 2013 (PDS Ultimate)
Vault Pro 2013
Windows 7 64
Xeon 2.4 Ghz 12GB
Message 5 of 7
dwing

Hi Lance.

I can no-longer use the existing drawing views for the drawing.  I can keep the same drawing (.idw) file, but I have to delete all the views off of it and re-create them all, because I am now using the new assembly (.iam) in place of the original part (.ipt) as the reference for the views.

In otherwords, I'm forced to re-do the whole thing.

The only thing that changed was that we added the plugs, which now made the original part an assembly.  The views will end up being the same, but with the addition of the plugs in them.  It's still basically the same machining drawing as the original.

Make sense?

Dan

www.yf.com

www.tactair.com

Message 6 of 7

Not sure if it would serve the purpose but will you be showing it as an assembly or as a part?

If you are simply showing the assembly (with the plugs) as a part, derive a part from the assembly model and then over-write the original part file with the derived file of the assembly. This will retain all the views already created and may even retain the dimensions. If not, the dims that don't re-attach will be highlighted and you just need to drag the extension lines to the required edges.

It might make things a bit easier on you.

Also, if I recall, I think AutoDesk Labs had an add-in that allowed you to change part files in the views that would basically accomplish just what you are looking to do. I'm pretty sure it's been available for about the last 2 releases of Inventor.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 7 of 7
dwing

"Jim" - 

Thanks.  I appreciate you taking the time to write back. I did try the derived part idea, but I need to show the drawing as an assembly. 

I would be interested in finding that Plug-In from Autodesk Labs.  I might snoop around to see if I can find it.  If you can remember what it was called let me know.

Thanks again,

Dan

www.yf.com

www.tactair.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report