Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexLM License Cascade Problem

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
paul.ashley
1049 Views, 10 Replies

FlexLM License Cascade Problem

I'm getting very frustrated with Autodesk's FlexLM licensing and hope someone here can help.  So far, our local resellar can't even seem to figure this out.

Although we own several Autodesk products that have this issue, I'll stick with our main priority which is Revit.

We own:

Revit Architecture 2012 - 7 seats

Revit MEP 2012 - 3 seats

Revit Structure 2012 - 2 seats

Autodesk Building Design Suite 2012 - 10 seats

When advised by our reseller to add Revit seats by purchasing the Suite for reasons of cost, we were told that we could install products with a single serial number and the relative product keys and have all the products cascade such that all licenses are available.  For example, we should be able to get a maximum of 17 Revit Architecture licenses when that generic serial number was used.

One source told us that using the generic serial number (Revit-specific?), 400-0000000, and the product code would work for all revit versions, but so far it has not, regardless of what media I try, including the download fromt the subscription site.

Any ideas how to do this?  Is it possible?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
DarrenP
in reply to: paul.ashley

it sounds like you want to combine the building suite serial # into the revit architecture serial number?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
paul.ashley
in reply to: DarrenP

Correct.

I'll add that we have the same need with 3DS and AutoCAD, for which we have both non-suite and suite seats.

Message 4 of 11
DarrenP

i know there were problems with all the new 2012 suites with regards to cascading

like this one: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=17565918&linkID=16831209

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
paul.ashley

Darren,

The linked article included this paragraph:

"In order to resolve this issue, install AutoCAD 2012 from the Building Design Suite media using the Building Design Suite 2012 Product Key.   AutoCAD with the Building Design Suite Product key will be able to use a license from AutoCAD or the Building Design Suite license packages that are on the license server."

This suggests that using the Suite Serial Number and Product Key will cascade downwards to the non-suite licenses and would likely work for all prducts in the suite.  I suppose the only way to know if that works would be to try it and watch the activity on the server.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 11
DarrenP

i would test it on a non production machine if possible

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
paul.ashley

That's what I intend to do.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11
DarrenP

i would have to do research on your serial number question

i know you can combine serial numbers for revit arch 2012 into another revit arch 2012 serial # on the same sub contract

i never heard of combing serial numbers of revit arch 2012 into a building suite serial number

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
paul.ashley

I found another article that suggested the same process as the one you linked to.

http://upandready.typepad.com/up_and_ready/2011/08/autodesk-suites-building-design-suite-2012-doesnt...

It seems that with 2012 products the process is backwards, with licenses casdading downwards from the suite, as long as the suite package is listed after the stand-alones in the license file, which it is in my file.

I did find that I can use the suite numbers with the downloaded Revit install files.

Message 10 of 11
DarrenP

will have to wait and see if this was fixed with the 2013 suites

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
TravisNave

As Darren mentioned, cascading doesn't always work as advertised.  Sometimes order listed in the .LIC file can help alleviate that.  I can tell you that the serial number makes no difference at all to the license manager.  So your reseller was confused on that fact.  And also as Darren mentioned, you can't combine a RevitArch into a Suite contract without cross-grading it.  There's probably a work around to get what you want though. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report