Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etransmit becoming useless

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
642 Views, 10 Replies

Etransmit becoming useless

My users run etransmit a lot.
Lately, they are finding it crashes out on a drawing or two, leaving them wondering what did not get copied to the
target folder.
What is happening is its choking on either lower version drawings, or objects in the drawing.
Its quite sensitive it seems, as the Civil Batch Converter does not choke on the same files.

I'mm seeing about 1/2 of etransmit attempts fail, and we are very careful about saving our files up to 2007 version.
Ettransmit is obviously trying to dig into the drawings and just does not handle errors well in 2009.

Is this common to others, or not? We deal with a lot of variety of files from consultants, so I would expect it cannot
get any worse than our mix.

In stead of Etransmit, I am using my purgeIDs tool to collect xrefs and copy to folder, then running Civil Batch
Converter after if needed.
The PurgeIDs has a button to "copy selected files to folder", but does not do images yet.
Several users have asked if etransmit is supported any more, as if its degraded, that is how they experience it.
thx
James Maeding
Civil Engineer and Programmer
jmaeding - at - hunsaker - dotcom
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

no such failures here, but we do not use Civil version, just AutoCAD, LT and
ACA.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

I do think its related to objects from civil verticals.
These are files that open, plot, edit and save fine all day, then fail on etransmit.

Dean Saadallah
|>no such failures here, but we do not use Civil version, just AutoCAD, LT and
|>ACA.
|>
|>--
|>Dean Saadallah
|>http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
James Maeding
Message 4 of 11
cstruckmann

i assume one of the xrefs doesn't behave as it should. try the run the etransmit command with slightly different settings. exclude certain xref's, or change some settings (main visual fidelity...). or when running etransmit and it states "processing xx of xx drawings", do you see at which drawings it chokes? look at that drawing very carefully (xref anno scales, xclip, purge and audit, large images)
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Its usually one or two of our medium to larger files that are clean, but still have lots of stuff.
I could do a lot of troubleshooting like you say, but I was wondering if lots of others are seeing this happen also, and
not saying anything.

You do have to save 2004 version files to 2007 to get 2009 to work well, and I see a lot of people stumble on that.
Once past though, its suprising to see etransmit choke.
I still use it to collect images, but work around it for drawings.

Its a shame as its a good feature I've always liked.

cstruckmann <>
|>i assume one of the xrefs doesn't behave as it should. try the run the etransmit command with slightly different settings. exclude certain xref's, or change some settings (main visual fidelity...). or when running etransmit and it states "processing xx of xx drawings", do you see at which drawings it chokes? look at that drawing very carefully (xref anno scales, xclip, purge and audit, large images)
James Maeding
Message 6 of 11
santacad

Are you binding? I always had better success with eTransmit when we were not binding.

HTH.
Message 7 of 11
santacad

Are you binding? I always had better success with eTransmit when we were not binding.

HTH.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

Its on by default, which is unbelievable, but its off in all etransmits we do.

santacad <>
|>Are you binding? I always had better success with eTransmit when we were not binding.
|>
|>HTH.
James Maeding
Message 9 of 11
markdoel

Works fine for us and like you we NEVER bind files......we were / are using 2008 and 2010...(skipped 2009)

Our files get automatically audited and purged on a save/exit which might be helping us.

there are posts on these discussion groups relating to problems with e transmit but most of these seem to be where users are using it to bind files.
Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

James -

Yes, we have had issues with etransmit with Civil 3d for years.
2006/2007 was horrible, but it is better with each release.

Matthew Anderson, PE

James Maeding wrote:
> Its usually one or two of our medium to larger files that are clean, but still have lots of stuff.
> I could do a lot of troubleshooting like you say, but I was wondering if lots of others are seeing this happen also, and
> not saying anything.
>
> You do have to save 2004 version files to 2007 to get 2009 to work well, and I see a lot of people stumble on that.
> Once past though, its suprising to see etransmit choke.
> I still use it to collect images, but work around it for drawings.
>
> Its a shame as its a good feature I've always liked.
>
>
> cstruckmann <>
> |>i assume one of the xrefs doesn't behave as it should. try the run the etransmit command with slightly different settings. exclude certain xref's, or change some settings (main visual fidelity...). or when running etransmit and it states "processing xx of xx drawings", do you see at which drawings it chokes? look at that drawing very carefully (xref anno scales, xclip, purge and audit, large images)
> James Maeding
> Civil Engineer and Programmer
> jmaeding - at - hunsaker - dotcom
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

I've tried that auto-purge/audit on exit. The danger is if anything goes wrong, you lose work.
And with things like excess reg-apps, that audit will lock you instantly.
I know about the bind issues and really do not complain that that feature is not dependable. You cannot bind nesetd
xrefs so not sure why its not greyed out when nesting is present.
Its the custom objects though, all problems stop if I run batch converter on drawings to kill the aec entities.
Our drawings are clean, its just taking the time to clean consultant files and all. I wish the tool was was not so
sensitive.

markdoel <>
|>Works fine for us and like you we NEVER bind files......we were / are using 2008 and 2010...(skipped 2009)
|>
|>Our files get automatically audited and purged on a save/exit which might be helping us.
|>
|>there are posts on these discussion groups relating to problems with e transmit but most of these seem to be where users are using it to bind files.
James Maeding

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report