Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
575 Views, 10 Replies

ESC Key

Morning All,

I have a user in the office that can not use the ESC key to deselect objects. The
ESC Key works to cancel commands.

Any ideas would be welcome

Craig Boddington
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
dmfrazier
in reply to: Anonymous

What AutoCAD version/flavor/vertical/add-ons?
Cancel is default behavior for Esc key. Has this one user "lost" customization that other users have?
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Its AutoCAD LT2009 with the latest service packs. You're correct the the ESC is the default cancel, however this isn't working, much to the anoyance of my staff member!

None of the other users on the same version are experiencing this problem. I suppose that a re-install may be on the cards unless anyone has any ideas!

Craig
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous

ESC does not work in ALL apps? or just AutoCAD?

What exact keyboard is being used?

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Dean,

I've checked the keyboard and its fine....that was my first thought!

Craig Edited by: Michael_Cook_Associates on Oct 26, 2009 1:51 PM
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

Are the objects not deselecting, or does a REGEN or REGENALL fix the display
problem?

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Dean,

The object are not deselecting. Regen does not resolve the issue, its almost as though the cancel function has been removed. Strangely you can still use the ESC key to cancel a commend mid-point!!!!!

Craig
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous

I, too, am having this same exact problem. Esc just stopped working without me doing anything. It is very annoying. I can still right-click and click cancel, but this is a lot more time-consuming. Any help would be appreciated.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Is this a PICKFIRST variable issue?
Exact AutoCAD version?
Restarting the PC or AutoCAD not fix it?

--
Dean Saadallah
--
Message 10 of 11
JoyceeMo

I also am having the same problem - I am using AutoCAD lt 2014 - and recently changed my system to Windows 7.  I now find that the esc key does not cancel commends - I would be very grateful for any help anyone can give - it really disrupts work.

Joyce

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

You can try re-mapping the ESC key with the clear macro.  I believe it's ^C?  There's multiple possibilities to this problem.  Another program, registry error, CUI error..etc.

My suggestions would be the following:

Remap the key>Turn off/disable 1 program at a time and retry the key>re-install.  

If re-installing the softare doesn't fix it, then it's most likely another program causing the problem.  I've had this problem once before but it's been a couple of years ago and I've re-installed since then.  But my first instinct was to tell you it's another program.

If you reinstall, be sure to restart your computer between the uninstallation and the reinstallation.

Sorry for the vague response, but hope it helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report