Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

educational version takes too long

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mennahamouda
539 Views, 5 Replies

educational version takes too long

hello everyone, 

i have a lenovo idea pad, i7, 16 gb ram and 4gb nivada geforce gtx graphics card

i installed the autocad 2014 educational version but it takes almost 2 minutes for it to start up. i was wondering whats wrong, is it my computer or is this normal? what exactly 

thanks in advence 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jggerth1
in reply to: mennahamouda

What else is running at that time, and what's your hard drive speed?

Proabably the only things you can do are minimize running services, kill the content indexer, prevent 360 from starting at logon, and swap out the 5400 rpm jhard drive for an SSD

Message 3 of 6
pkolarik

Is it just the initial startup for the first time that day (since rebooting or logging on)? If so, all our autocad seats here do the same thing. Then it starts up alot quicker each time after that until you reboot or log off again.

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman
in reply to: pkolarik

Thats a feature of Windows.  As you run programs it caches certain parts so they can be loaded quickly the next time its run.  2 minutes is a bit excessive.  Is there a wireless connection in play here?  The program may be going outside the system trying to track down data and/or files (like last used printer).

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 6
mennahamouda
in reply to: jggerth1

nothing is running at the same time. i don't think im going to be able to change to an ssd card, i have a 16gb ram which i hear is really good. im not really a computer expert, i only use it because i need to at school so a lot of what you said i did not understand fully. 

Message 6 of 6
jggerth1

fyi -- lots of things are running at the same time.  that's a reality of modern operating systems.  fire up task manager, and look at all the proceses that are running.  many critical, others  are non-critical 'fluff'.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report