Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Pioneer of computer-aided design

47 REPLIES 47
Message 1 of 48
Anonymous
626 Views, 47 Replies

Early Pioneer of computer-aided design

Some time ago, we had a discussion on this forum about Architect Doug Cardinal. He was no doubt an early pioneer of computer-aided architectural and structural design. For those of you who still have doubts about the great achievements of Doug, please read this
http://www.kurtandersen.com/journalism/time/time_des071089ottawa.html

Regards,
Inge Coulter
47 REPLIES 47
Message 2 of 48
rculp
in reply to: Anonymous

He's a hack, always has been.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 3 of 48
Anonymous

Randy Culp wrote:
> He's a hack, always has been.

Does not do it you way?
Message 4 of 48
rculp

hmmm... you may have something there if by "my way" you mean on budget and on schedule.

Quotes from the article:

"...baroque quirkiness run amuck."

" this project, which is a year behind schedule and some 200% over budget, "

"... He does his thing about the white man killing the native soul, and they cough up whatever he wants."

" He fought for weeks over the pattern on the cafeteria china, and he was upset over the fact that the TV wall outlets were square, not round. "

" The Museum of Civilization is an earnest folly on a grand scale. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's just this article. Cardinal has made a science out of over-blown, over-budget, over schedule. He has yet to complete a project, ANY project, on time and under budget. I'm at a loss to determine why Canadians continue to throw money at this guy.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 5 of 48
Anonymous

May be he is, may be not, I don't know the guy personally. But the Google
search against your name drew a blank. Which is hardly a surprise, really.

--
To reply please use igor@iinet.net.au address
wrote in message news:5407611@discussion.autodesk.com...
He's a hack, always has been.
Message 6 of 48
rculp

hmmm... either you're using a bogus version of Google, or the wrong name.

But more to your point here, is it your opinion that if one's name produces hits from a Google search, that one is NOT a hack?
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 7 of 48
Anonymous

I know nothing of the man, but after reading the article, I do not have a very flattering image of the man what so ever. This is mainly due to many lines, some of which you stated right there.

When praising a man, it's best to tell people why he's good... not... how he has, just like every other human mind you, screwed crap up.

Very bad press... not an article to be using to praise him.
Message 8 of 48
Anonymous

I'm with the other guy... unless you fly rockets as a hobby (possible, but an irrelevant hobby) or you're "Dr. Randy Culp" (possible, but highly unlikely, as that guy is a full time university instructor, and at my best assumption, you work at least full time in a quite large firm)

or.... you're a guy, who, when searched on the internet, has made no major contribution to the information contained on the internet except for posting on the Autodesk Discussion Groups Boards 🙂

But hey... I just googled my name, and some story about Jewish Youth Groups has a line containing my name and someone else 69'ing after meeting at a dinner buffet line... a little less than flattering I must say.
Message 9 of 48
rculp

Nearly two decades ago, he was a topic of discussion for an Architectural course I was taking. Pre-internet, (or rather very early internet) we were stuck digging through archives of newsprint. Since then I've noticed his name when it popped up in a journal or article. In every article I've ever read, even those praising his work, his name is always associated with over-budget and behind schedule.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 10 of 48
Anonymous

Randy Culp wrote:
> Nearly two decades ago,

Ironically, about the same time period as the article was written...

--
Brian Winterscheidt
LWPB Architecture
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Message 11 of 48
Anonymous

I would wager you would think Frank Lloyd Wright is as well?

I do, in most regards of his profession, for similar reasons I think that this guy is a hack.

They both seem to get lots of praise though, despite obvious, openly known, and well repeated, grave flaws...

ITS PRETTY (yes, sir, but it cost $5Billion... we budgets $5Million... 3 decades ago ) BUT ITS PRETTY!!!! (yes sir, but it only works because of the labors of the skilled craftsman who had to improvise in the field, as well as the re-engineering maintenence programs that will be required over time..) ......PRETTY! (Yes, sir... It's pretty.)
Message 12 of 48
Anonymous

I agree, Franky was the same kinda artichoke.
Very nice , but over time, over budget and at times "unbuildable".

Leo

wrote in message news:5408055@discussion.autodesk.com...
I would wager you would think Frank Lloyd Wright is as well?

I do, in most regards of his profession, for similar reasons I think that
this guy is a hack.

They both seem to get lots of praise though, despite obvious, openly known,
and well repeated, grave flaws...

ITS PRETTY (yes, sir, but it cost $5Billion... we budgets $5Million... 3
decades ago ) BUT ITS PRETTY!!!! (yes sir, but it only works because of
the labors of the skilled craftsman who had to improvise in the field, as
well as the re-engineering maintenence programs that will be required over
time..) ......PRETTY! (Yes, sir... It's pretty.)
Message 13 of 48
rculp

The only nod I'll give FLW, is his acquiescence to utility. There at least "some" degree of "function" (however small) to much of his "form". With Mr. Cardinal, "function" does not take second place to "form", it's not even in the hunt. Much of his added expense and schedule delays produce little more than ivy trellises. (That's not to say the FLW was not guilty of the same from time to time)
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 14 of 48
rculp

Either way it should not have produced a "blank" as was posted.

Youy're correct, from an internet perspective my contribution is limited to CAD users forums, but my question remains unanswered. Is it your opinion (or that of the other poster) that a Google hit somehow eliminates one from the "hack" category? If so, how so?

A secondary question follows your response here. Is it your opinion that the LACK of a Google hit somehow invalidates a posted opinion?

BTW there were several hits
Dr. Randall W Culp - surgeon
Randy Culp - mechanical engineer/rocket scientist
and me.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 15 of 48
Anonymous

Yea, those were the hits I was talkin' 'bout.

I personally don't Google has any merit other than funny surprises that may turn up... like someone using the same name as mine in a story they published.
(edit: I don't think it has any merit as a source to "validate" someone in character, professionalism, experience or otherwise.. to clarify.)

All Google will turn up in large numbers are blogs, forums, hobby sites, myspace, etc...in my earlier years I was a on staff of a large art site, that employs a decent number of people, and has millions of users. I'm quite thankful I had the foresight to not use my full name on that site, as it'd be embarassing to be connected with that place, as it is now.

I think the main "point" of stating that your name doesn't turn up any Google hits is just a more modern way of saying "Well I don't see your name in any headlines" to say that no one knows who you are, yet here many people are, talking about the "hack" and giving him publicity.
(edit: that's how I interpreted it) Message was edited by: Josh Nieman
Message 16 of 48
rculp

"" I think the main "point" of stating that your name doesn't turn up any Google hits is just a more modern way of saying "Well I don't see your name in any headlines" to say that no one knows who you are, yet here many people are, talking about the "hack" and giving him publicity.
(edit: that's how I interpreted it) ""

As did I. My questions go the point of that comment.

Using Google hits to say: "Well I don't see your name in any headlines... yet here many people are talking about the hack...“ must have some point. It's either an attempt to invalidate one opinion because "I don't see your name", or an attempt to authenticate another merely because “many people are talking about the hack”. I was merely trying to determine which.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
(aka CADaver)
Message 17 of 48
Anonymous

< line containing my name and someone else 69'ing after meeting at a dinner
buffet line... a little less than flattering I must say.

mistaken identity of course....:)

scares me what I have posted out there forever.

Jack Talsky
Message 18 of 48
Anonymous

Guys Like this are why it took so long for CAD to catch on with the waste he
caused. It was bad enough that it was a new technology and there would be a
learning curve but this guy clearly didn't care about wasting the clients
money.

wrote in message news:5406772@discussion.autodesk.com...
Some time ago, we had a discussion on this forum about Architect Doug
Cardinal. He was no doubt an early pioneer of computer-aided architectural
and structural design. For those of you who still have doubts about the
great achievements of Doug, please read this
http://www.kurtandersen.com/journalism/time/time_des071089ottawa.html

Regards,
Inge Coulter
Message 19 of 48
Anonymous

Just catching up with the topic
- we have been under the weather, snow, high winds and power outages -
Pleased to see Randy Culp in the Christmas spirit. Are you so sure that all your comments about
"this Guy" are not in fact compliments?
Message 20 of 48
Anonymous

"Are you so sure that all your comments about
"this Guy" are not in fact compliments?"

Don't get in to some Bukowski-esque "calling me scum is what I want" type of reverse logic...

A fool is a fool is a fool, and this guy seems to be a fool. You can drink that Kool-Aid all on your own.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report