Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

drive mapping Emulating server drives on home use laptop.

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
timethypearson3181
379 Views, 1 Reply

drive mapping Emulating server drives on home use laptop.

I have a question on drive mapping between windows server and a local laptop drive.

We map folders on the local hard drives on laptops to match drives on our windows server.

This enables users to work at home and have all of the necessary resources from the office with them.

We also keep our survey database in the project folder on the server (or mapped local folder).

A user has been experiencing problems with C3D 2014 when switching from the server to the local mapped drives.  I don’t have a reliable description of the exact problem; it seems to change from discussion to discussion with the user.  Mostly is revolves around not connecting to the survey database.

The user works primarily at home and has to share the project file with others in the office so the survey database has to travel with it as well as references.

Is this the recommended way run a project between the office server and home use laptop?

Drive mappings

Server Mapping = net use Q: \\servername\projects /P:N

Local Mapping = subst Q: C:\localfolder\Q_drive

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

What I have done for years is use the Offline Files ("Always available offline") feature of Windows to manage access to certain shared network folders on laptops that go offline.  I do recall at one time (probably back in the Win XP days) one of the network folders contained some old Foxpro database files and I would always get a message that those files could not be made available offline.  There was no explanation, and I didn't pursue one at the time since the files didn't matter (or maybe I did but have since forgotten).  Here's a link to a (10 year old) discussion of a similar issue with a rather shallow but reasonable answer:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/145322-45-make-offline

In any case, not knowing exactly how you're managing the file sync-ing, maybe your current issue and my past observation are related.

On the other hand, maybe things are different in the Win 7 version of Offline Files, as I just tested making a folder containing some db files available offline and got no messages.  Something to consider?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report