Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
863 Views, 8 Replies

Date Stamp when Saving

The last company I worked for had their drawings automaticall include a date stamp on the drawing when you saved it, and update it anytime some made a change. It included the file name & path, time, date, and last person who saved it.

Is this something already built into AutoCAD that needs to be turned on, or is there a lisp routine out there for this that someone might know of?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Johneng
in reply to: Anonymous

Field Command

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

What was the last product they (you) worked with?

In C3d/LDD it recently changed, and is now part of the MTEXT command as a data field that can be inserted.

Reid

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Just go to Print>Search for Stamps dialog and edit settings to meet your preference> then abuse the PrintPreview to check if it shows the way you want it. HTH
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

The plotting command also has a "Plot Stamp" function.  It will update everytime you plot, and has various fields you can insert.

Reid

Message 6 of 9
dgorsman

Plot-based stamping isn't always a good thing.  As an example, my boss once asked me to plot out a set of drawings.  Ok, fine - here you go.  The next day he comes back and says "This is wrong, thats wrong, why was this changed" and so on.  I reply "I don't know, I didn't work on these." to which he points to my name on the plotted drawings.  Other instances had multiple copies with different datestamps since users would open/work/plot/close without saving, creating drawings with newer dates that don't actually exist.  I've advocated save-based stamping instead ever since.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 9
pkolarik
in reply to: dgorsman

If you have users who are working in dwg files and not saving then that's not really an issue with plotstamps, that's more of an issue with training and getting them to save their work...
We've always used plot stamps on our drawings and if someone asks that same question we simply explain to them that our initials on the plot stamp are simply from plotting it and gives absolutely no indication of who worked on it. (the cad people doing the work have a spot on our titleblock to put their initials)

@dgorsman wrote:

Plot-based stamping isn't always a good thing.  As an example, my boss once asked me to plot out a set of drawings.  Ok, fine - here you go.  The next day he comes back and says "This is wrong, thats wrong, why was this changed" and so on.  I reply "I don't know, I didn't work on these." to which he points to my name on the plotted drawings.  Other instances had multiple copies with different datestamps since users would open/work/plot/close without saving, creating drawings with newer dates that don't actually exist.  I've advocated save-based stamping instead ever since.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dgorsman

I actually use both.

I also don't use my name or initials in either, that's what the title block is for.  'Course I've always worked in smaller firms, not as part of a team.

Reid

Message 9 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: pkolarik

Some users just will. not. listen.  Bobble head when told not to do it, then later on deny, deny, deny...

Supervisors can be just as bad.  Doesn't matter how many times you repeat yourself its "But thats your name on the drawing!"

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report