Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a network pgp file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
whitney_jeff
584 Views, 7 Replies

creating a network pgp file

A friend is trying to find out how to create a network PGP file and install it on all the workstations.

I read the pro and con arguments in the discussion here but there was no hint of how to do it.

From what I can determine - you need to go to each workstation and delete the exising pgp file, create a PGP file on the network and modify the options>files>support to point to the network location of the pgp file.

Is that correct?

Please don't answer with pros and cons.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
PaulMunford
in reply to: whitney_jeff

If you set the Acad.lsp file to load your own lisp routine off the network, you won't have to visit each computer ever again...

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 8
whitney_jeff
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thanks Paul, but they are looking for the pgp file, not the lsp

And it turns out that what I thought was the corrrect method is the correct method - - or at least it works!

Message 4 of 8
PaulMunford

Sorry - I didn't explain myself very well. You wanted to know how to install a single PGP without having to visit every machine?

My answer is to set each users Acad.lsp file to load your own 'setup.lsp' file off the network.

Now, when ever you want to make a change on every machine (For example point them toward a single PGP file), you only have to put the relevant code into your 'setup.lsp' and it will be loaded the next time your user starts up AutoCAD.

Does that strategy sound useful?

Message 5 of 8
whitney_jeff
in reply to: PaulMunford

Thanks for expanding Paul.

It still sounds as if you have to go to each workstation to point to the setup.lsp

Dunno, and not sure how to put the code in to setup.lsp to point to the network PGP file either!

Thanks though

Jeff

Message 6 of 8
dgorsman

You don't need to delete any PGP files.  Just ensure the one you want in use is in a folder that is high up in the support file search path.  In either case, you will need a method of standardizing the search paths or you're a) walking around touching each computer or b) relying on users to do it for you.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 7 of 8
whitney_jeff
in reply to: dgorsman

That is what my friend found, he did not rename or otherwise touch his local PGP file, just copied it to a network location and put that location at the top of the search path

Message 8 of 8
PaulMunford

The idea is that you network peoples AutoCAD at the time of installation, then you don't need to re-visit peoples machines to push out updates in future. You make changes to the ACAD.lsp file, and it loads in your tool palette's, CUI, block library's or what ever else you want to change.

Here - Let me pass you on to Robert Green. He explains it much better than I do 😉

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2011/autocad/networking-autocad-for...

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2013/autocad/cm3190

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/classes-on-demand/class-catalog/2012/autocad/autolisp-for-cad-manag...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report