Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
Kyle-Evans
397 Views, 5 Replies

Cloud Cad Standards

Hey guys, I seem to be having a bit of an issue here.

We have our cad standards on our server, which is all fine and dandy for the people that are in the office. I was attempting to get them to read off of a cloud site and it does not seem to be working the way I thought it would.

I do not want to physically copy them to the computers because that would defeat the purpose of standards.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jggerth
in reply to: Kyle-Evans

@Sindarin wrote:

Hey guys, I seem to be having a bit of an issue here.

We have our cad standards on our server, which is all fine and dandy for the people that are in the office. I was attempting to get them to read off of a cloud site and it does not seem to be working the way I thought it would.

I do not want to physically copy them to the computers because that would defeat the purpose of standards.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

You need to clarify what you mean by 'cad standards'.  DWT files, ctb/stb files, titleblocks, menus, docs, PDFs, help files, etc. etc????

Regardless, the idea of niot wanting to replicate "because that would defeat the purpose of standards" doesn't seem to make any sense ion the face of it.  Can you explain what you mean?

Message 3 of 6
Kyle-Evans
in reply to: jggerth

Yes, sorry. We have all our hatch patterns, ctb files, dwt's, titleblocks, pipe catalogs (ect). We have an off site drafter (works from home), and I do not want them having full access to the template files (as they could change them). 

I can cover replicating them to dropbox for instance, but that is as far as I want them to get. I am trying to keep them as a single source of truth. I was hoping to path their civil 3d to the web addresses the same way you can path to a server path.

Message 4 of 6
jggerth

uhm, no.  that's not the way any of these services work.  they are based on synching a local folder to a remote folder to a local folder, and always transfer files etc up and down to the local machine.

Option A would be to set up your remote user with VPN, and have him working off your server.  that's really the only way you'll have the 'single source of truth'

Option B would be to include a batch file in his dropbox folder (on dropbox and synched down to his machine) that he can run and move everything from his local dropbox location to the correct support locations on his PC.

Option C would be to configure his machine to use the dropbox folders _first_ in his support paths

basically, either trust them, set up a VPN, or fire them

Message 5 of 6
sboon
in reply to: jggerth

We have users who operate from laptops, and may be working in or out of the office.  Our solution is basically option C.  The first path in our support directories points to a drive which is maintained by corporate IT, and which replicates itself to all branch office servers every day.  Only the CAD manager has write access to this location, and it only includes support files which are applicable to the entire company.  The second path option points to a network drive and folder within each branch.  Users are discouraged from adding stuff, but we acccept that branch specific items or files required to suit client standards will go here.  The third level of support path is to the OOTB locations as specified by Autodesk. 

Steve
Please use the Accept as Solution or Kudo buttons when appropriate

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

hi I downloaded the student version of AutoCAD 2014, but did not help you be active

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report