Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD vs Document standards

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
495 Views, 15 Replies

CAD vs Document standards

Do you differentiate your CAD standards from your Document standards? Are they in separate manuals? I'm not sure how to differentiate between the computer standards, and the printed document standards. (or if I even should) Example CAD standard would include: Naming files File storage Drawing units and scale Use of model space and paperspace Layer naming Standard fonts CTB files, etc. Example Document Standard would include: Tracking the drawing process archiving handling redlines the basic of what goes on the drawing When and what to cloud on drawings Signatures and stamps Should I put these things into one document, or two? Or should I use 2 chapters in one manual?
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

We don't distinguish. When we say "standards" we mean the total quality of the finished product, which in our case is the hard copy plots. Everything concerning computers pertains to "standards" only insofar as it affects quality. We spend a LOT more time on the hard copy issues than we do computer issues. We view the computer stuff purely as support for the larger goals. We try to find ways to make it easier to draw correctly -- block libraries, lisps, menus, you name it. We place a high importance on reusability of CAD files, which means they must be highly consistent. We take care of this by supplying drawing templates and other tools which make it much easier to produce correct work than incorrect work. But we never look at computer "standards" as an end in themselves. We don't waste time on voluminous "standards" reference books. This was a change I made when I took charge of what we call "standards" -- I threw away the big fat hopelessly obsolete notebook and refused to make another one. My reasons: these things are never used, they're never up to date, and thus they're pure busy-work. I have more important things to do, like being responsible for quality control, and I've been convinced by experience that the fat book sitting on the shelf doesn't help. We have a very well defined procedures, with "how-to" guidelines and checklists for every phase of our work. These are each short docs, generally a page or two, which are purely functional -- they relate to exactly what you need to do, right now, to finish this phase of the work. At the completion of a phase, the checklist is to be completed and added to the paper trail accompanying the project. That's all the docs we need. These are updated whenever there is a standards change, and made available on the intranet, so any time you print a guideline or checklist it is current. I suppose we'd have a big fat book if we ever took (wasted) the time to stuff all of these into one big binder and name it The Standards Bible. But we specifically DON'T want users keeping obsolete paper manuals around. We want them to print out a fresh, newly updated checklist for each phase of each project. We maintain an index of documents on the intranet, so they're easily accessible. And again, the docs are short, to the point, easy to follow, and focused on a specific task. You don't have to beat users over the head with a Bible if you provide them with "cheat sheets" which *HELP* them meet their production goals. Another benefit of breaking things down this way is that different people can be responsible for different docs. The person who checks one stage of the work, for instance, maintains the checklist for that. We coordinate these things at our regular "standards" meetings. We don't document computer stuff at all, except to make available a list of custom keyboard commands for newcomers. Nearly everything that's essential to our work in on a self-explanatory menu. If you want to know what the standard layers are, just start a new drawing -- you can't get it wrong. Why write this up? Granted, our work is fairly simple in nature, but all of the items you call "CAD standards" are either covered by our procedural guidelines, or else they are so obvious and unavoidable that a user would have to go way out of his way to deliberately mess up.
Message 3 of 16
j.franklin

We have one book for all the standard, but the sections are broken down by things like you like mentioned-- one section on the CAD issues, one on the general organization of things (affecting the hard copy), etc.

It is a manual that's updated fairly often, but that's largely because of some changes to our standards. We are also heading toward placing it on an Intranet so that updates are not such tree-killers.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

Ours are in two separate books. CAD Standards refers to layers, lines, details, text styles, drawing assembly, file naming, file location, xref attachment, plotting - everything to get you from black screen to plotted drawing. We have another book is more of an Office Standards book. It deals with project process issues - who stamps what when, what we include in a package, how specs are assembled, standard office docuements (fax cover, memo, etc), office fonts... "F. Gump" wrote in message news:422343bd_2@newsprd01... > Do you differentiate your CAD standards from your Document standards? Are > they in separate manuals? > I'm not sure how to differentiate between the computer standards, and the > printed document standards. (or if I even should) > > Example CAD standard would include: > Naming files > File storage > Drawing units and scale > Use of model space and paperspace > Layer naming > Standard fonts > CTB files, etc. > > Example Document Standard would include: > Tracking the drawing process > archiving > handling redlines > the basic of what goes on the drawing > When and what to cloud on drawings > Signatures and stamps > > > Should I put these things into one document, or two? > Or should I use 2 chapters in one manual? > >
Message 5 of 16
madcadd

Run Forest, RUN!
Keep it simple or it simply won't work.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1 Yes there is CAD, and then there is Supporting Documents. Everybody knows the CAD stuff, but the Supporting Documents very. We us Excel, Word, Visio, Microsoft Project, PDFs, BMPs, and stuff from Lotus Notes. Generally it is trying to standardize on the file name, with this exception. We are now using an Electronic Document Management, EDM, that has the ability to extract attributes from within a document and populate that database. I could also not care what the file name is, but in the database it would be something fitting. Not fully working at present. Don't ask how much time they need to make it work, it will take longer if I ask. The EDM is ProjectWise from Bentley. W. Kirk Crawford Rochester Hills, Michigan -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: PGPfreeware 6.5.8 for non-commercial use <> iQA/AwUBQiOJ8y5TJpEQIpHSEQLvqgCfU6/V35F+WHK0UFb9x21QAFiRHuUAn2iX xDvJ5WE/AIJlICo5G4UsTpla =agdF -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

"F. Gump" wrote in message news:422343bd_2@newsprd01... > Do you differentiate your CAD standards from your Document standards? Are > they in separate manuals? Definatly different standards. Cad is used to produce the product as required by the drafting standards. As already stated these can be in one book if they are not too extensive otherwise different books. Playing with words a little, documents usually refers to letters, memos, conference notes ...ect. Drawings would be what is usuall produced by CAD, plans sections, elevations....ect (in my world anyway). Each one of these catagories could require a standard of some type. Pete
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

>>Playing with words a little, documents usually refers to >>letters, memos, conference notes ...ect. Construction Documents :) "Pete Gaudette" wrote in message news:4225d2db_3@newsprd01... > > "F. Gump" wrote in message > news:422343bd_2@newsprd01... > > Do you differentiate your CAD standards from your Document > standards? Are > > they in separate manuals? > > Definatly different standards. Cad is used to produce the > product as required by the drafting standards. As already > stated these can be in one book if they are not too > extensive otherwise different books. > > Playing with words a little, documents usually refers to > letters, memos, conference notes ...ect. > > Drawings would be what is usuall produced by CAD, plans > sections, elevations....ect (in my world anyway). > > Each one of these catagories could require a standard of > some type. > > Pete > >
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

"F. Gump" wrote in message news:4225dc91_3@newsprd01... > >>Playing with words a little, documents usually refers to > >>letters, memos, conference notes ...ect. > > Construction Documents > > :) > > mmmmmmmmmmmmmm? OK.
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

I've pondered the same thing. I kind of went with a single document approach. Below is what I have started for our firm. 1 0.Overview 1.1 Purpose and scope 1.2 Major "thou shalt/though shalt not" rules 2 1.Network & Workstations 2.1 Your workstation 2.2 Network overview 2.3 Network folder structure and file naming 2.4 Keeping folders "lean and clean" 2.5 Network printers and devices 2.6 Software applications 2.7 Locations of block libraries and manufacturer data 2.8 Backups and archives 3 2.Project Planning and Setup 3.1 Project specific standards 3.2 Project documentation 3.3 Minisets: keeping current sets at your desk 3.4 Redlines: picking up markups 3.5 Revisions 4 3.Drawing Setup 4.1 Use of templates 4.2 Use of xrefs and images 4.3 Use of paperspace layouts 4.3.1 Setting up paperspace mviews 4.3.2 Using different scale details on sheets 4.4 Use of blocks and attributes 4.5 Use of titleblocks 4.6 Drawing units: accuracy and precision 4.7 Maintenance: purging 5 4.Drawing Set Organization 5.1 Production house plans vs. custom house plans 5.2 Site Plans 5.3 Floor Plans 5.4 Elevations 5.5 Sections-Building 5.6 Sections-Wall 5.7 Details 5.8 Interior 5.9 Schedules 6 5.Drafting Procedures 6.1 Common sense 6.2 Creating readable drawings 6.3 Object grouping with polylines and blocks 6.4 Grammar and spelling 7 6.Layers 7.1 Names and entities 7.2 Colors and linetypes 7.3 Use of layers vs. "forced" object properties 8 7.Plotting 8.1 Be sure to check... 8.2 Page Setups 8.3 Plot settings 8.4 Plot files 8.5 PDF/DWF files 9 8.Annotation 9.1 Text and text styles 9.2 Dimensions and dimension styles 9.3 Hatching 9.4 Symbols 9.5 Schedules 9.6 Drawing notation methodologies 9.7 Abbreviations 10 9.Digital File Exchange 10.1 Get approval for (and be aware of) all files that are sent from the office 10.2 Release forms 10.3 AutoCAD's Etransmit function 10.4 Using Winzip 10.5 Email procedures 10.6 Files to Owner or consultants 10.7 Files to contractors or subcontractors 11 Appendix 11.1 Scale factor table 11.2 Abbreviations 11.3 Layers 11.4 Command shortcuts 11.5 Graphic symbols 11.6 Resources and links 11.7 Credits 11.7.1 AIA layer standards 11.7.2 Mark Middlebrook on CAD standards 12 Computer "How To" 12.1 AutoCAD 12.1.1 Revision clouds 12.2 ADT 12.2.1 Wall styles and component priorities 12.2.2 Wall cleanups 12.2.3 Wall endcaps 12.5 CaddOn:Express Tools 12.6 CaddOn:In-house Customizations
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

I've also toyed around with setting up Movable Type to hold the CAD Standards. The beauty of that is that blogs are more conducive to updating; people can check back occasionally and see what has changed recently. Or, they can "subscribe" to the in-house blog to be notified when changes occur. The other nice thing is that they can post "comments" to the document. It really becomes a living document; a repository for company knowledge. If somebody finds that a particular technique can be simplified, they can just post a "comment" and everybody can learn from it. Craig
Message 12 of 16
KCCadDude

We call our manual a "Procedures Manual". It incorporates the procedures to get information where it needs to be and also graphic standards to get it to look like it's supposed to look like.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

WOW. very detailed. Can you share that information with me? "CraigV(fs)" wrote in message news:42260dca$1_2@newsprd01... > I've pondered the same thing. I kind of went with a single document > approach. Below is what I have started for our firm. > > > 1 0.Overview > 1.1 Purpose and scope > 1.2 Major "thou shalt/though shalt not" rules > 2 1.Network & Workstations > 2.1 Your workstation > 2.2 Network overview > 2.3 Network folder structure and file naming > 2.4 Keeping folders "lean and clean" > 2.5 Network printers and devices > 2.6 Software applications > 2.7 Locations of block libraries and manufacturer data > 2.8 Backups and archives > 3 2.Project Planning and Setup > 3.1 Project specific standards > 3.2 Project documentation > 3.3 Minisets: keeping current sets at your desk > 3.4 Redlines: picking up markups > 3.5 Revisions > 4 3.Drawing Setup > 4.1 Use of templates > 4.2 Use of xrefs and images > 4.3 Use of paperspace layouts > 4.3.1 Setting up paperspace mviews > 4.3.2 Using different scale details on sheets > 4.4 Use of blocks and attributes > 4.5 Use of titleblocks > 4.6 Drawing units: accuracy and precision > 4.7 Maintenance: purging > 5 4.Drawing Set Organization > 5.1 Production house plans vs. custom house plans > 5.2 Site Plans > 5.3 Floor Plans > 5.4 Elevations > 5.5 Sections-Building > 5.6 Sections-Wall > 5.7 Details > 5.8 Interior > 5.9 Schedules > 6 5.Drafting Procedures > 6.1 Common sense > 6.2 Creating readable drawings > 6.3 Object grouping with polylines and blocks > 6.4 Grammar and spelling > 7 6.Layers > 7.1 Names and entities > 7.2 Colors and linetypes > 7.3 Use of layers vs. "forced" object properties > 8 7.Plotting > 8.1 Be sure to check... > 8.2 Page Setups > 8.3 Plot settings > 8.4 Plot files > 8.5 PDF/DWF files > 9 8.Annotation > 9.1 Text and text styles > 9.2 Dimensions and dimension styles > 9.3 Hatching > 9.4 Symbols > 9.5 Schedules > 9.6 Drawing notation methodologies > 9.7 Abbreviations > 10 9.Digital File Exchange > 10.1 Get approval for (and be aware of) all files that are sent from the > office > 10.2 Release forms > 10.3 AutoCAD's Etransmit function > 10.4 Using Winzip > 10.5 Email procedures > 10.6 Files to Owner or consultants > 10.7 Files to contractors or subcontractors > 11 Appendix > 11.1 Scale factor table > 11.2 Abbreviations > 11.3 Layers > 11.4 Command shortcuts > 11.5 Graphic symbols > 11.6 Resources and links > 11.7 Credits > 11.7.1 AIA layer standards > 11.7.2 Mark Middlebrook on CAD standards > 12 Computer "How To" > 12.1 AutoCAD > 12.1.1 Revision clouds > 12.2 ADT > 12.2.1 Wall styles and component priorities > 12.2.2 Wall cleanups > 12.2.3 Wall endcaps > 12.5 CaddOn:Express Tools > 12.6 CaddOn:In-house Customizations > > > >
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

That is it. The rest is in my head... Actually I've been at my firm for about 6 months and haven't been able to implement it. This is really just a topic list based on all of the CAD manuals I have started. Props to Mark Middlebrook who wrote some great articles about standards. You may still be able to find them on Google. Craig "F. Gump" wrote in message news:42278642$1_1@newsprd01... > WOW. very detailed. > Can you share that information with me? > > > "CraigV(fs)" wrote in message > news:42260dca$1_2@newsprd01... >> I've pondered the same thing. I kind of went with a single document >> approach. Below is what I have started for our firm. >> >> >> 1 0.Overview >> 1.1 Purpose and scope >> 1.2 Major "thou shalt/though shalt not" rules >> 2 1.Network & Workstations >> 2.1 Your workstation >> 2.2 Network overview >> 2.3 Network folder structure and file naming >> 2.4 Keeping folders "lean and clean" >> 2.5 Network printers and devices >> 2.6 Software applications >> 2.7 Locations of block libraries and manufacturer data >> 2.8 Backups and archives >> 3 2.Project Planning and Setup >> 3.1 Project specific standards >> 3.2 Project documentation >> 3.3 Minisets: keeping current sets at your desk >> 3.4 Redlines: picking up markups >> 3.5 Revisions >> 4 3.Drawing Setup >> 4.1 Use of templates >> 4.2 Use of xrefs and images >> 4.3 Use of paperspace layouts >> 4.3.1 Setting up paperspace mviews >> 4.3.2 Using different scale details on sheets >> 4.4 Use of blocks and attributes >> 4.5 Use of titleblocks >> 4.6 Drawing units: accuracy and precision >> 4.7 Maintenance: purging >> 5 4.Drawing Set Organization >> 5.1 Production house plans vs. custom house plans >> 5.2 Site Plans >> 5.3 Floor Plans >> 5.4 Elevations >> 5.5 Sections-Building >> 5.6 Sections-Wall >> 5.7 Details >> 5.8 Interior >> 5.9 Schedules >> 6 5.Drafting Procedures >> 6.1 Common sense >> 6.2 Creating readable drawings >> 6.3 Object grouping with polylines and blocks >> 6.4 Grammar and spelling >> 7 6.Layers >> 7.1 Names and entities >> 7.2 Colors and linetypes >> 7.3 Use of layers vs. "forced" object properties >> 8 7.Plotting >> 8.1 Be sure to check... >> 8.2 Page Setups >> 8.3 Plot settings >> 8.4 Plot files >> 8.5 PDF/DWF files >> 9 8.Annotation >> 9.1 Text and text styles >> 9.2 Dimensions and dimension styles >> 9.3 Hatching >> 9.4 Symbols >> 9.5 Schedules >> 9.6 Drawing notation methodologies >> 9.7 Abbreviations >> 10 9.Digital File Exchange >> 10.1 Get approval for (and be aware of) all files that are sent from the >> office >> 10.2 Release forms >> 10.3 AutoCAD's Etransmit function >> 10.4 Using Winzip >> 10.5 Email procedures >> 10.6 Files to Owner or consultants >> 10.7 Files to contractors or subcontractors >> 11 Appendix >> 11.1 Scale factor table >> 11.2 Abbreviations >> 11.3 Layers >> 11.4 Command shortcuts >> 11.5 Graphic symbols >> 11.6 Resources and links >> 11.7 Credits >> 11.7.1 AIA layer standards >> 11.7.2 Mark Middlebrook on CAD standards >> 12 Computer "How To" >> 12.1 AutoCAD >> 12.1.1 Revision clouds >> 12.2 ADT >> 12.2.1 Wall styles and component priorities >> 12.2.2 Wall cleanups >> 12.2.3 Wall endcaps >> 12.5 CaddOn:Express Tools >> 12.6 CaddOn:In-house Customizations >> >> >> >> > >
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

I think you suffer from the same "don't forget the kitchen sink" illness that I did when I first did my CAD Manual. I've since pared it down to a much smaller document which combines many of the topics into a single topic. I've also added a chapter for all ongoing CAD meeting documentation and PowerPoint slides. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 16 of 16
Anonymous

> I think you suffer from the same "don't forget the kitchen sink" illness that I > did when I first did my CAD Manual. I've since pared it down to a much smaller > document which combines many of the topics into a single topic. Matt, same here. As I described earlier, we've eliminated the "book" altogether, and replaced it with series of very small, task-specific procedural guides and checklists. They actually get used, rather than sitting on the drafter's shelves gathering dust. Obviously, there's value in documenting the inner workings of the network, CAD setup, and so forth, but this is mainly for the benefit of your eventual successor and/or to jog your own memory. That kind of stuff tends to seem irrelevant and mind-numbingly boring to the majority of users, and IMHO they really ought to be shielded from it. You don't want to hide the stuff that users really need in a mass of stuff that turns them off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report