Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffalo Link Station for a small network

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
157 Views, 4 Replies

Buffalo Link Station for a small network

Does anyone have any experience with the Buffalo Link Station as a File Server on a small P2P network? I am looking at using a 120G version, with a 250G USB drive attached for backup. The office currently has a WinXP P2P network, with data stored on all machines, printers connected on all machines and shared, no backup, etc. If the Buffalo solution works, it would give them shared network files, backup, and a shared printer, with no workstation left powered on, and all for less than $350, which seems like a great deal. Only two of 5 users work in AutoCAD at all, current files are only in the 40G range, and bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue. Any thoughts, anyone? best, Gordon
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

If you're on a P2P network, why not use a slightly older box to act as the server. I would think you would have a little more flexibility with managing your data through another machine (that could also be raid equipped) rather than just a storage box.....but then again I've been wrong before. Matt "Gordon Price" wrote in message news:422e10bc$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone have any experience with the Buffalo Link Station as a File > Server on a small P2P network? I am looking at using a 120G version, with a > 250G USB drive attached for backup. The office currently has a WinXP P2P > network, with data stored on all machines, printers connected on all > machines and shared, no backup, etc. If the Buffalo solution works, it would > give them shared network files, backup, and a shared printer, with no > workstation left powered on, and all for less than $350, which seems like a > great deal. > Only two of 5 users work in AutoCAD at all, current files are only in the > 40G range, and bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue. > Any thoughts, anyone? > > best, > Gordon > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

"Matt" wrote in message news:422e1660_3@newsprd01... > If you're on a P2P network, why not use a slightly older box to act as the > server. I would think you would have a little more flexibility with > managing your data through another machine (that could also be raid > equipped) rather than just a storage box.....but then again I've been wrong > before. If there was a machine available, I might, but there isn't a free box available, so even buying a super cheap box and WinXP would run a lot more than $350 for 120G main storage & 250G backup. Also, the NAT solution does nothing more than what it needs to, so management is easier. A seperate box means managing Windows, service packs, hot fixes, etc. If I can get decent performance without all that dreck, I would like to. Gordon
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Here's some reading to go along with any other replies you get: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-190-ProdID-DS101.php - Jim "Gordon Price" wrote in message news:422e10bc$1_3@newsprd01... > Does anyone have any experience with the Buffalo Link Station as a File > Server on a small P2P network? I am looking at using a 120G version, with > a > 250G USB drive attached for backup. The office currently has a WinXP P2P > network, with data stored on all machines, printers connected on all > machines and shared, no backup, etc. If the Buffalo solution works, it > would > give them shared network files, backup, and a shared printer, with no > workstation left powered on, and all for less than $350, which seems like > a > great deal. > Only two of 5 users work in AutoCAD at all, current files are only in the > 40G range, and bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue. > Any thoughts, anyone? > > best, > Gordon > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

I have one (250G), but it's used only for secondary backup. It works OK, but I'm not sure I want to trust my company to it. We use a Linux server. Check the computer prices at WalMart. You can get a Compaq Presario with a Sempron 3000+ for $494. You'd need to add a hard drive. Try newegg.com for that. For around $600 you'd have a better, more stable server that you'd have some chance of recovering data from if it crashed. I wouldn't want to try recovery off a Buffalo Link Station. Martin Gordon Price wrote: > Does anyone have any experience with the Buffalo Link Station as a File > Server on a small P2P network? I am looking at using a 120G version, with a > 250G USB drive attached for backup. The office currently has a WinXP P2P > network, with data stored on all machines, printers connected on all > machines and shared, no backup, etc. If the Buffalo solution works, it would > give them shared network files, backup, and a shared printer, with no > workstation left powered on, and all for less than $350, which seems like a > great deal. > Only two of 5 users work in AutoCAD at all, current files are only in the > 40G range, and bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue. > Any thoughts, anyone? > > best, > Gordon > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report