Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10
CFlorczyk
489 Views, 9 Replies

BIM Questions

So This is not technically about autodesk and its programs i felt to appropriate to ask in this forum, because from alot of posts i read, a good sum of you use AutoCAD for the purpose of BIM.

That being said. About a month ago I started a new job as a BIM coordinator and in that time ive learned mountains of knowledge in terms of running AutoCAD and its functions but im at a stand-still with the industry itself. Before this i have never done any construction work, period. So my question for all you suave and efficient BIMer's out there is How can i learn the industry itself? are there any books you reccomend? or websites to read? or videos to watch?. I plan on taking some kind of courses at the community college but i cannot this semester but i dont want to wait. So I need to jump right into this crazy world..... any help?

All comments, Tips, ideas and or Books to read will be apprciated!

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JamesMaeding
in reply to: CFlorczyk

You can only learn by doing projects, and by reading these DG's IMO. Other good sources too like AU class handouts and videos. Not college classes though, and likely not generic reseller classes. Custom mentoring would work too though if you can pay a good reseller.

Take a precise grading or pipeline plan, and try to make the items in the software you have. That is what your users are doing so you need to know how too.

Also note that civil's do not have real BIM software, like architects do. We model things with generic tools like alignments and tin surfaces, that do not really know what they are. People use the term loosly, but it is worth knowing that just because your position is called BIM manager, sometimes its also "same old civil alignments" manager too.

And sometimes "3D solids manager" more likely than not if doing civil.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 3 of 10

Before advising, I'd have to say you should clarify what you mean by industry. 

Like, what does your company do and what are your primary markets served? 

I did an Associate's degree, but, it taught me nothing applicable about what I needed to know to really understand, just how to use the various software packages. Most things were geared toward residential design and construction, and our one mechanical class was supposed to teach residential mep, but, the teacher taught us process piping instead. 

I learned everything at the knee of my mentor (a mechanical engineer) and our mechanics (various trades, mep).

I do agree that AU and RTC handouts can fill in some gaps for you with some good context.

The software forums here (and on augi) are good too as people explain why they design things certain ways for their projects. But, that's not really a cohesive 'start at A then move to B', but, more information on what environment you are in might shake out a more concrete answer. 

Best of luck. 

Melanie Stone
Facilities Data Management
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
mistressofthedorkness.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 10

I have a couple friends that have become BIM Managers recently too.

I like the term because I have seen too many "CAD manager" friends be let go recently.

I will say it has to be the most demanding technical job title I could think of.

You really must know revit, MEP, and the civil world to do it right.

I have seen people just pull files into navisworks, and call themselves BIM managers, but that is shallow.

I guess I am saying its a bit scary they hired a BIM manager who does not have all the basic experience they would like to have already.

I watched a clent's BIM manager decide that the civil consultants would all now use Civil3D for quantities.

They put it in the contract. I advised our managers not to propose on the work.

You can get into deep water fast when you make decisions that sound all cohesive and BIM-ish, but you better have friends you trust to check with while learning.

Message 5 of 10
pkolarik
in reply to: CFlorczyk

As someone else stated, you didn't mention which industry you are referring to.

I got an Associates Degree back 23 years ago for architectural design. It gave me the basics on how a building goes together, every aspect of it (this was back before cad was the be-all, end-all). But beyond those basics, most everything else was learned on the job.

There's absolutely no substitute for actual hands-on experience in an industry. If it's possible, see if you can get your employer to send you out to a couple job sites during construction every now and then. A day or two here or there for you to shadow the construction manager would be immensely valuable.

Beyond that, alot of other good suggestions already made here to follow.

Message 6 of 10
JamesMaeding
in reply to: pkolarik

I guess half the battle is defining what a BIM manager is, which is definining what a cad manager is, which is.....subjective.

If they keep you employed because they want to, and paid because they like the results, you define what that role is to that company.

My dog is my BIM manager at home. He manages the intruders with sheltie visciousness, and I pay him with food and tummy scratches.

Message 7 of 10

@jmaeding wrote:

I have a couple friends that have become BIM Managers recently too.

I like the term because I have seen too many "CAD manager" friends be let go recently.

I will say it has to be the most demanding technical job title I could think of.

You really must know revit, MEP, and the civil world to do it right.

I have seen people just pull files into navisworks, and call themselves BIM managers, but that is shallow.

I guess I am saying its a bit scary they hired a BIM manager who does not have all the basic experience they would like to have already.

I watched a clent's BIM manager decide that the civil consultants would all now use Civil3D for quantities.

They put it in the contract. I advised our managers not to propose on the work.

You can get into deep water fast when you make decisions that sound all cohesive and BIM-ish, but you better have friends you trust to check with while learning.

The parties involved really need to know their stuff. 

I got flack at my old gig for specifying Revit for our models (all disciplines). I knew there were better tools out there for those specific jobs, but, when you've got to have the ability to edit models for the life of the entire building, you can't exactly do it across 5 different software packages. So, you go for what works or nothing at all. (And, yes, that might limit the contractors who can bid on the work, or increases price because they have to outsource the modeling, but, it's a small price to pay when you consider that most facilities expenses occur post-occupancy, not during construction.)

Communication is a big issue. Meetings would always start out with people talking down and telling me what I should need, until I explain to them what we do, and why I need what I specified. (I hate people who spec things just to spec things... interoperability and basic quality control are all I needed. Our corporate overlords had a 50 page CAD standards packet, but, I chucked it out the window... I did NOT need to specify text styles and height for the work we did, it wasn't remotely important.)

I'm babbling now, sorry... :lol: Decisions and specifications need to be based on real world needs, not bowing to baseless opinions. 

Melanie Stone
IWMS / CAFM / CMMS / AutoCAD / Archibus / Tririga / Planon / MRI Manhattan CenterStone / Revit / data normalization, data mapping, reporting and process documentation
Message 8 of 10

edit models for the life of the building? Now that is an engineering gravy train!

It is funny how pipeline people design things all tight, then bury their work and use spot shots or potholes to locate later.

There is no "Buried Infrastructre Model" software yet (well, except our in-house tools:) )that uses real alignment based pipes, not hub and spoke whackoness.

hmm, wonder why Autodesk renamed their Infrastructure Modeler to Infraworks. They actually had the IM part of BIM going for them, except that surfaces and 3d solids are not BIM, and never were, so better to change the name and stay honest I guess.

Message 9 of 10

:lol: Gravy train? I didn't see it like that. Job security, a job that is never finished, etc.

I did it in AutoCAD (then added AutoCAD MEP) and was starting to do it in Revit MEP... I could still be there doing it if I hadn't gotten bored out of my mind with the repetitive (and inefficient due to lack of pm oversight) work.

But, such is the life in facilities engineering and facility management...
"this is the job that never ends
yes it goes on and on my friends
some people started doing it
not knowing what it was
now they'll continue doing it forever just because
... facilities constantly need to be renovated or expanded"

Still in facilities, but, not in engineering anymore. Kinda miss the work, but, mostly I'm glad it's not my problem anymore.

Melanie Stone
Message 10 of 10

"not all those who wander are lost", they just cannot find the facilities.... 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report