Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Asset Locator Search Selection Problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
barlinj
1015 Views, 2 Replies

Autodesk Asset Locator Search Selection Problem

Just downloaded Autodesk Asset Locator 1.01 and immediately ran into an oddity/problem vs. the old Product Manager.  The utility appears to be ignoring specific machine name selections from the domain list and simply scans the entire domain.

In more detail, open the "Product Search Definition" page by selected "New Search".  Select products to scan for from the list in the first field "Products to locate".  Center field lists "Available network computers" under "Computers to search".  The final field is "Computers added to search".  When selecting specific machine names from the "Available Network Computers" list rather than the entire domain and then bringing them into the righ-hand field "Computers added to search", the application appears to scan the entire domain anyway.  I seem to recall my previous experience is that the "Computers added to search" field was the definition of the search from the selections in "Available network computers", thus restricting the scan to just the selected computers rather than the whole domain.

A few observations:

- The application will not scan anything if the "Computers added to search" is left blank.  This further reinforces my previous experience that this field is actually intended to define the extent of the search.

- Adding the domain properly adds "Entire Domain" to the search criteris in "Computers added to search"

- Adding a limited number of selected machine names, in my case 10 PCs, to the "Computers added to search" field, and then running the search, indicates 717 PCs to scan in the progress status.  This further supports my observation that it seems to ignore the actual selections and scan the entire domain anyway.

I do need to be able to restrict the scan to selected groups of PCs on our network, so this effectively breaks the utility for my use.

Am I missing something here, or is this an issue others have seen?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
brettgatti
in reply to: barlinj

I'm experiencing the exact same issue.  No matter what type of selection list I build (one computer or 50), the Asset Locator scans every system on our network.  I've tried this on multiple computer with O/S's ranging from 32 bit XP to Windows 7 Enterprise - x64.

This behavior makes it almost impossible to try to efficiently track and sort software by office.

Message 3 of 3
bradpowell
in reply to: brettgatti

Make sure the client computers have "remote registry service" enabled

Brad Powell
CAD Coordinator
Cardno
Win 7 64bit Enterprise
Civil 3D 2011 64bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report