Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD Mech. 2010 Layer Properties Manager Error/Crash

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
54ndv1k
2520 Views, 18 Replies

AutoCAD Mech. 2010 Layer Properties Manager Error/Crash

Good day,

Has anyone else experienced this Problem.

Running AutoCAD Mechanical 2010 on Win. XP 64bit SP2, 6-Gig R.A.M., Intel Xeon quad core CPU with nVidia Quadro FX 1800 Gfx card.

Basically our workstations where i work, are the HP Z400's.

This problem has been happening to many of my CAD users in my company.
Sometimes the little icons in the layers drop down menu dissapere, it's when this happens that you know
your AutoCAD is about to crash. If you then click on layer propeties Manager, this error comes up (see attachment),
Clicking on the Continue button does nothing, the error loops and just stays on the screen. I have to manually crash
AutoCAD and start it again.

If i select the details button, It tells me something about a J.I.T Debugging error ( Just in time Debugging error ), with a massive amount
of other data which means nothing to me.

I have searched for almost two months now and can find no fixes, i have only found out 3 things about this error:

1) It is apparently connected to .Net Framework 3.5 with SP1.

2) Autodesk is not interested in helping their users (the people who make them who they are and pay their slaries) because they say it's a microsoft problem and not theirs.

3) Microsoft say Autodesk have a bug in their code which causes problems with their .Net framework, so it's not their problem either.

This is pathetic, Autodesk is pathetic!!!!!

Does anyone know how to cure this damn problem????
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
in reply to: 54ndv1k

Instead of waiting for another 2months, be proactive and do what you have
found others have suggested from the last two months perhaps.

- Document all .NET versions you have on one PC.
- Find and download each variant to that PC for recovery later.
- Remove all .NET versions from your PC, uninstall with a quality tool like
REVO UNINSTALLER and it's most aggressive setting (answer yes to delete all
registry entries and files/folders it offers).
- Remove your AutoCAD version(s) the same way.
- Restart your PC.
- Install back the version of AutoCAD you use most. It will install the
needed .NET version.
- Test. Now repeat for all other workstations.

If you have other apps that need .NET versions other than the one AutoCAD
installed, they will ask for it, then and only then do you install based on
the downloads you did as item #2.

JIT is a separate issue, has a lot to do with your Internet Browser's
security access privileges and little else. While it's interesting all
software developers/Microsoft blame each other for this one, it's pretty
much end user settings that triggers it or not, some light reading for you:
http://www.google.com/search?q=JIT+debugging+error&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7HPND_en

Post back if you get stuck.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 3 of 19
54ndv1k

I have been trying many methods suggested in the last two months, do you really think i would just sit back and not try, what right would i have to make my statements then??? i have also tried the method you have suggested and it has not sorted out this problem, i don't know where you work, but the company i work for is an internationally recognised mining company, they sh*t themselves if their draughtsman loose even half an hour of work / production! The problem is so sporadic and i have not been able to identify a common factor linked between the users having this same problem.

If you do some searching yourself, you will find that i am not the only one experiencing this problem.

Random question here, but what are the minimun rights a CAD User needs in order to operate AutoCAD (2010 in particular) with no hassels?
Our draughtsman are only granted "user" rights, lowest of the low right? could this be a problem in any way?
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous

Autodesk recommends Power User rights. Have you asked your question in
this discussion group? It's focused toward AutoCAD Mechanical:

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=39

--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous

Since you made no indications you tried anything, you got the "do it"
response. If you want to avoid such replies in the future, elaborate in your
first post. All I had to go by was a rant that started with...
"I have searched for almost two months ..."

If you want to be treated as someone who's tried fixes, provide details that
show it.

>>>...only granted "user" rights...<<<
One of many JIT error reasons. JIT is about security settings.

--
Dean Saadallah
http://LTisACAD.blogspot.com
--
Message 6 of 19
54ndv1k

... O-K, I could say the same thing about you and damn Assumption... this is so crap, look at what you are arguing about with me... my damn dialect??? Please, if you can't provide any information about the topic at hand, refrain from posting, you are wasting space! Where are the damn moderators on this site????
Message 7 of 19
AllenJessup

The moderators aren't going to pull post like this. It's just SSDD around here. Some people may be rubbed the wrong way by some of Dean's posts. But he has a lot of experience he's willing to share. The majority of the post he took time to write was filled with his suggestions on what might solve the problem.
I understand that you're upset with Autodesk. We've all been there. But the people on these groups are NOT Autodesk. This is not official support. We're just looking for help and trying to help others.
Now that I've had my little rant I'll offer my suggestion. You might already have tried it or it might not help. But I'd suggest downloading the latest video drivers for you card if you don't have them already. Then go over the tuning. I would especially disable Adaptive Degradation. Doing this solved a lot of problems I had in C3D 2009 including those with the Layer Manger.
Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 19
omc-usnr

Geesh,

Lighten up.

I'd suggest you look into getting rind of XP, especially with 2010 products (& the new 2011). Win 7 64 pro (or ultimate) would help enormously. Also, the user setting are too low.

Reid
Message 9 of 19
54ndv1k

Thanks guys,

I am currently running the latest Quadro drivers (197.59 Quadro winxp 64bit) and have tweaked the nipples off of it already!

How do i disable Adaptive Degradation, and what exactly is that setting meant to do?

thanks for the help!
Message 10 of 19
54ndv1k

I would love to switch to Win 7, but our company has big strings attached to IBM / Lenovo, too much red tape to swing that idea, maybe in like another 8 years, you know how these things go!!! As for the user settings, our off-site I.T. Department refuses to give power user rights, i will need to really start a good motivational to get that off the ground because i agree with you there!

thanks!
Message 11 of 19
AllenJessup

I'm extrapolating from Civil 3D 2009. When I go to Options on the System Tab and select Performance Settings it opens the Adaptive Degradation and Performance tuning dialog box. In the upper left hand corner is a check box for Adaptive degradation. Uncheck that box.
From my limited understanding of the process it will degrade the display at certain points to put less stress on the video card. From reading the release notes for the Nvidia Performance Drivers I learned that with the more powerful cards you don't need that.
By turning it off I solved a lot of problems with my display of 3D objects and crashing while doing a 3D orbit. It also solved problems with the Layer manager sticking and freezing. Which is why I mentioned it in your case.
Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 12 of 19
54ndv1k

Thanks Allen,

I will give it a try, but our AutoCAD's are exclusivly for 2D design in my company, no one uses 3D AutoCAD, we use Inventor for all our 3D needs, but i will still give it a bash and monitor the pc's.

A couple of interesting facts about this problem:

1) It does not happen all the time, thats why it is taking me so long to problem solve it, because i will apply so-called-could-be-fix and
then in about a couple of days time, it happens again.

2) There are 5 Draughtsman who experiance this problem out of all our staff and only them, and generally when one guy crashes with that
problem they all start crashing within about 10-20 minutes of eachother 2-3 times per day, then for the next couple of days all is good.

3) on one guys machine, we've identified that about 85% of the time he crashes out with this error if he listens to music through his pc,
all the other guys do not experiance this at all, we've tested, but another guy gets this crash also about 85% of the time when his Inventor
is open at the same time his AutoCAD is, but again, none of the others experiance this....
Message 13 of 19
omc-usnr

Do these guys leave the layer properties manager open all the time? There is a stability problem, if it's left open. I don't remember the setting to change it, but there is one. It should be set to only open when needed.

Also, when acad crashes, it leaves a lot of garbage in the doc & settings\user\temp folder. It'll help if that folder is cleaned on a regular basis (once a week at least).

Reid
Message 14 of 19
AllenJessup

I leave mine open continually with Auto-hide on. I've had no Layer Manger stability issues since I made the changes I outlined. Might be pure coincidence but I thought it might be worth a try.
Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous

I leave mine open all the time, no auto-hide, along with the properties
palette.
The only time I have problems is when I open up DC or SSM along with
them. I get some instability then and have to closer the layers palette
all the way until I'm done with the others.
(using ACA2010)

Melanie Perry
***not all who wander are lost***
http://augi.com/autocad
http://MistressOfTheDorkness.blogspot.com

On 5/12/2010 1:13 PM, AllenJessup wrote:
> I leave mine open continually with Auto-hide on. I've had no Layer
> Manger stability issues since I made the changes I outlined. Might be
> pure coincidence but I thought it might be worth a try.
> Allen
Message 16 of 19
54ndv1k

Some do and some don't, i have played with the variable LAYERDLGMODE, set it to 1 and 0 and still had the same crash on both settings unfortunatly... Edited by: 54ndv1k on May 13, 2010 5:45 AM
Message 17 of 19

Layer manger crash can be solved one way.

Simply type one command and done.

MAPSKINMAP

This command keeps metallic skin off so heavy resources are not needed.

Message 18 of 19
lyndac
in reply to: AllenJessup

MAPSKINMAP unknown command in my autocad...

Message 19 of 19
rmiller1973
in reply to: AllenJessup

We have witnessed two basic layer manager errors:

The layer manager won't populate that forces the user to close and reopen the layer manager palette. This causes a dialog box to pop up but can be cleared out by clicking 'ok' a couple of time.

The .net error that throws a pop up that won't go away has typically been caused by creating a layer from the command line or lisp routine while the layer manager is open and then trying to undo back to a point before the layer was created. This dialog box looks different than the one in the OP's post.

As long as AutoCAD doesn't crash out and completely close out you may still have an opportunity to save your file instead of forcing AutoCAD to close through the task manager. If the pop up constantly repeats itself when you interact with it, you should be able to Alt+F4 AutoCAD. It does take a fair amount of timing but AutoCAD won't shutdown using Alt+F4 without asking you if you want to save each one of your open files. Once the timing is right you should be able to stop on the standard save dialog box - at this point it is up to you to decide if you want to save the file the problem occurred in.

The .net error is likely localized to the current file so you should be able to cancel out of the save dialog on the next file (if you had multiple files open). Using Alt+F4 is the same as using the 'exit' command ... you can cancel at anytime and stop the closing process.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report