Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using Box dot Net for project replication?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdhutchinson
1293 Views, 3 Replies

Anyone using Box dot Net for project replication?

Is anyone using Box dot Net for sharing/syncing AutoCAD Drawing files between multiple servers in different offices?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Keith.Brown
in reply to: mdhutchinson

Part of the problem with services like box.net is that what happens when two or more people access the files at the same time?  Since each server has its own local copy and then syncs to the cloud there is the opportunity for information to be lost.  If two users are working on the drawing at the same time, User 1 saves the drawing and then User 2 saves the drawing it will overwrite User 1 modifications.   If you just use the service as a file depository and do not use for active drawings then I think they are great.  I use yousendit.com for the same thing and place all of my files in the clould.  I sync certain folders to each of my pc's and have access to all of them at any time.  internet connection required of course.

Message 3 of 4
sgold
in reply to: Keith.Brown

100% Agree with Keith.  Great as a backup tool, not as a working tool.  Fails when working with Word and Excel files too.  Once you can expect multiple people to want to open the same file at the same time, you'll get conflict files and it all goes bad.

--Scott

Scott G.

Using Inventor 2013/2014 and Vault Basic since 2012
Using Simulation Flow 360 since 2013 (sparingly, bear with me please)
6 years Solidworks (v2006-v2010)
10 years Pro-Engineer (v13-WF2) w/ Intralink (2.0-3.0) w/ Pro/Mechanica
2 years of Mechanical Desktop
AutoCAD since R12
First professional CAD: DrafixCAD
Message 4 of 4
rolanddaane
in reply to: sgold

Guys be honnest.

If people start working on the same file at the same time in Box there is something definitly wrong in the process.

Using Box sync 4 engineers and draftsmen over the entire world can produce drawings and by using relative paths to the xrefs it works.

In Windows explorer Just rightclick the file tou want to work on and hit the lock button.

Think in advantages: Say an xref changes in the fileserver. How do you get the changes into the drawings?

Box notifies you.

Cheers

Roland

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report