Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone try Windows 8 Developer preview?

67 REPLIES 67
Message 1 of 68
pendean
22840 Views, 67 Replies

Anyone try Windows 8 Developer preview?

Or have plans to try the public Beta of Windows 8 to be released soon?

I had greate success with the Win7 beta and wondering if Windows8 will be the same experience.

67 REPLIES 67
Message 2 of 68
DarrenP
in reply to: pendean

i tried to install autocad 2012 on win 8 dev preview

it won't get past the setup screen i can't even click on install products without it crashing

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 68
TravisNave

Gentlemen,

I decided to give it a try today.  At first I ran into a lot of the usual suspects.  But eventually, I was able to get AutoCAD 2012 up and running on the latest Windows 8 build 8250. 

I copied the contents of the AutoCAD disc to the HDD.  Then I modified the setup.ini file and removed all instances of DOTNET from the prerequisites.  Windows 8 already has .NET 4 preloaded into the OS, so the installer will fail if this step is not done.  Once I saved the setup.ini file, I changed the properties of setup.exe to run in Windows 7 Compatibility mode and to Run as Administrator.  The installer went on without a hitch.

I launched the product (also Win7 compatibility) and was able to pull a network license from my license manager after my trusty IPv6 technique.

Edit:  On a side note, I installed LMTOOLS 11.10 but the licensing for adskflex.exe did not work.  I went back down to adskflex.exe 11.7 and it fired off.  Seems that the latest 11.9 adskflex.exe has the same connectivity issues on Windows 8 as Server 2008 R2.  Stands to reason...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 68
pendean
in reply to: TravisNave

Thanks for the tips: I will download Win8 CP this evening, install it on my Slate and give it all a good try out.

If anyone else is wondering about Win8, these help a lot:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/2/29/2833006/how-to-install-windows-8-consumer-preview

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9224785/Windows_8_What_you_need_to_get_started?taxonomyId=89

Message 5 of 68
DarrenP

the OS is pretty cool

i only wish i had tablet to test this on

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 68
pendean
in reply to: DarrenP

I'm counting on Win8 being a big improvement on a tablet: my Samsung Slate is seriously handicapped by Win7 when it comes to touch-screen use in many areas, all it offers are work-arounds that are not smooth at all.

Message 7 of 68
TravisNave

Agreed.  I've only found a few minor complaints so far with this preview release.  The missing Start menu had me worried at first until I realized that I never use the Start menu now anyway.  Might be an adjustment for my users though.  Doesn't seem to be a way to enable it either like in previous beta releases.  The other thing I don't like is the missing setting for managing wifi connections.  They've even changed it enough that the export wifi to USB no longer works to import previous settings.  There's also some difference in how it is resolving DNS because I was having problems with the hosts file and making it recognize changes to the file. 

Clearly this OS was designed to be on a tablet or a device that at least has touch screen or pen input.  I see no reason to upgrade to Win8 over Win7 unless this functionality is important to you.  Also doesn't seem that the app store (currently free) has Angry Birds yet.  Smiley Very Happy

From an IT stand-point, there doesn't seem to be a lot of change on commands, MMC, the run box, and all the other shortcuts and tricks.  It's not ready for prime time yet.  But AutoCAD works on it.  Ha!

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 8 of 68
DarrenP

microsoft also released server 8 consumer preview

that seems to geared towards cloud enviroments

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 9 of 68
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

I am not brave enough to put a beta server on my enterprise.  hahaha!  It might turn my infrastructure into clouds!  Smiley Very Happy

Autodesk Forums:
Message 10 of 68
kienduday

Can you send me your file setup.ini of AutoCad 2012 ? I can't install AutoCad because framework .

Message 11 of 68
TravisNave
in reply to: kienduday

Open up your setup.ini file and do a search for DOTNET.  That will allow you to remove all the prerequisite checks for all the .NET versions.  Remove every single one.  Then at the bottom section where the DOTNET section begins, delete everything in between the beginning and ending comments.  Save the file.  Run setup as W7 compatibility mode as Administrator. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 12 of 68
kienduday

I was installed without Framework . Thank you so much .

I'm not sure it will erro but now it's work . Will file install be fix in future ? Cat Happy

Message 13 of 68
kienduday

oh no , "load library failed error 126" , how do fix ? Cat Sad

Message 14 of 68
TravisNave

I didn't get that error.  Are you running the program now in Windows 7 compatibility mode as Administrator?  Try that. 

It's unlikely for there to be a compatibility fix for this release in the future.  Perhaps AutoCAD 2013 if we're lucky.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 15 of 68
mgalicki

Travis, what portion of the file am I to erease? Just the GREEN in my screen shot? Thanks, Mark

Everything in existence was first an Idea
Autodesk Plant 3D Premium 2019
Autodesk MEP 2019
HP 3.2 Ghz CPU 16 ram
1TB 7200 rpm SATA 6Gb/s hard drive
2GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680ti
HP 2311x 23" LED Monitor
Message 16 of 68
TravisNave
in reply to: mgalicki

Correct.  Just F3 it all the way down and remove all the DOTNET references for all products.  You will also have to remove the program section for DOTNET at the end of the file too. 

Autodesk Forums:
Message 17 of 68
TravisNave

Here is my modified setup.ini file for vanilla (x64) AutoCAD 2012.  You should be able to unzip it and use it on AutoCAD or use it as a reference to modify other Autodesk products.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 18 of 68
kienduday

It was intalled but it don't work . "load library failed error 126" . Wait 2013 version ... Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 68
TravisNave

After modifying the .ini file and overwriting the one that is copied to the hard drive, here is my process:

1.  Login as a local administrator

2.  UAC and antivirus (if installed) is disabled

3.  Right-click setup.exe and go to Properties

4.  Set Compatibility mode to Windows 7

5.  Check to run as Administrator and click OK

Run setup.exe and install as expected (not adding any service packs to the install.)  This went on without a hitch for me once it was completed.  I used vanilla AutoCAD 2012 from DVD media copied to the hard drive with the modified setup.ini that I provided.

Once installed, I set the file properties of acad.exe to Windows 7 compatibility mode as well.  It launched without error.  I am using a network licensed copy.  I did not test this with stand-alone. 

Your Load Library Failed Error 126 error could be due to your graphics card, especially if using an AMD/ATI Radeon card.  I am using an nVidia card.  You might consider updating your driver if that is an option for you on W8.

ACAD-Success.jpg

Autodesk Forums:
Message 20 of 68
kienduday

Sorry , I failed .I was do that you said but it not work

Untitled.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report