Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An old dog's new Ferrari?

103 REPLIES 103
Message 1 of 104
erinhood
723 Views, 103 Replies

An old dog's new Ferrari?

I write this topic at the very risk of my job, in order to do a better job....
How do you get an old dog to drive his new Ferrari?
I worked at the same architectural firm for over six years for an very good Architect with a very nice clientele. Since I'm just a worker-bee, drafting construction documents and design coordination & the typical drafting stuff is what I do. I'm NOT an architect.
We recently (Jan 2006) upgraded our hardware and software suites for the office after a six year haul of using very slow pentium 600mhz, or older, machines and plain vanilla AutoCAD R14. I know it sounds ridiculous.. but my job is really good, except for the complete frustration I get from not being allowed to produce as much work as I can. Come on, R14 in the year 2005..? My boss is an Architect, Not a Drafter.
Needles to say, we finally fell behind the compatibility continuum and HAD to upgrade in order to use our consultants' newer file formats or to even produce a pdf!!

Now, we have the shiny new hardware setup and....The bigdaddy ADT2006 licenses!! Finally!... after all these years I can resume using objects instead of being bound to primitives.
WRONG!!
I've stressed on all the ways I know to get ADT implemented and used, but all for not. AutoCAD literacy isn't important somehow. We are still using primitives, and ONLY primitives, because the learning curve is not appealing to the other users(2 architects and another drafter). we've implemented about 3% of our adt capabilities and don't even bother to built models. It's all done transferring lines just like on a drafting board.
How can I make my boss see what he doesn't see without risking my job?
103 REPLIES 103
Message 101 of 104
Anonymous
in reply to: erinhood

not if it's the right layer

A-RIGHTLAYER....

--
Princess Jamie,

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.
- Anais Nin

wrote in message news:5141389@discussion.autodesk.com...
May I suggest to familiarize yourself with the
guidelines and services of the AIA and RAIC.
Whether you are a client, developer or CAD Manager,
driving your Ferrari on one layer especially if it
happens to be the layer 0 will not solve your
problems and will only make life difficult for
all of us.
Message 102 of 104
rculp

"" You need to think outside the box a little.""

Oh I do, that's why they pay me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"" By sketch I didn't mean on a piece of paper, I meant on the computer. ""

I know you did.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"" You can sketch up Ideas in the cad programs you know. ""

But that is NOT a required step to design, as you indicated, never has been.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"" Also by draft, I do not mean the old days of drafting.
But going from design to full blow production CD's.""

That's been the definition of drafting for at least the last 35 years. Drafters take a design and make CD's. What I'm trying to tell you, and as others have posted, is that production CD's are no longer required in many facets of design. You go from the design model straight to fabrication. Try thinking outside YOUR box for a minute.

Your trite little "one must think to design, then one must sketch to draft, then one must draft to build", may have been true at the turn of the "last" century, but certainly hasn't been the case for several decades. At least it hasn't outside your little box. Many major engineering companies don't even employ "drafters" anymore, taking the design straight to CD's using programs other than AutoCAD Some programs don't even use CD's, but go from final FEA to fabrication. But then again, that's outside your little box.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)
Message 103 of 104
architectural

Doug Cardinal is one of the best architects on the American continent. He hired one computer expert when he designed the winning entry over all the other architects. Long before other architects started using computers, Doug used the computer. We enjoyed Doug's occasional visit to our small office in Edmonton. He often came in full native dress or just plain suit, white shirt and tie. Doug was Peter Hemingway's best friend and both respected each other's architecture And, if you all promise not to jump onto this little secret, yes, Doug once lived in a tree house North of Edmonton during the month of February.
Message 104 of 104
rculp

Missed this one earlier

"" You have to draft it to get it into the computer. Unless of course you are Vulcan. ""

Only if you're using methods and procedures that are 15 years old.
But hey, that's just me.

Randall Culp
Civil-Structural Design Technician
(aka CADaver)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report