Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A very short CAD upgrade survey (for school)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
huntwork
664 Views, 4 Replies

A very short CAD upgrade survey (for school)

Hello everyone,

I am working on a paper for school and would appreciate your help by completing a brief 9 question multiple choice survey on CAD software upgrading.

http://cadupgradesurvey.questionpro.com/

The questions are along the lines of deployment building, testing, rollout, and post-install support time. The idea is to get a better idea of the true cost of upgrading beyond the software purchase.

In case you are interested, the paper I am writing is for an information systems management class in the MBA track at Xavier University. If enough responses and useful data is gathered I would like to use this information to produce an article on the same subject for submission to AUGI or another CAD related publication so your responses might be in print sometime in the future!

Feel free to comment back to this thread with any suggestions for additional questions that might go into a supplementary survey in the future.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Michael Huntwork
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
omc-usnr
in reply to: huntwork

Just took your survy.  I'm a one person office.

This question:

On average, how much time is lost for each user customizing and familiarizing with new features with each deployment?  needs an answer in days or weeks.

The transfer from Land Desktop to C3d was an enormous jump, requireing retraining and at least 2 weeks additional time on the program to become productive again.  Even the "incremental" updates require at least three days to find all the changed commands, lost commands, and reworking of various user input screens.

Reid

Message 3 of 5
huntwork

Thanks for your feedback.  I will be adjusting the time scales for the next round of questions.

Mike

Message 4 of 5
TravisNave

Your deployment method question should also provide an option for Disk Imaging (i.e. Ghose, Acronis, etc.)  For this question, I chose *other* but I know of many people that create a working installation and clone it to multiple computers. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 5
JamesMaeding

How would you determine the true cost of upgrading from that info?

You must have a baseline to compare to, which would mean you must know production techniques on one version, then compare to techniques on the new version.

Its the production time gains/losses after the install that matter most.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report