Valued Contributor
Clarkeng09
Message 1 of 17 (1,243 Views)
Accepted Solution

Vault Sync Error

1243 Views, 16 Replies
07-12-2013 12:12 PM

Hi,

We are just starting to use Buzzsaw to collaborate with external suppliers.  I am trying to share a number of files with Buzzsaw from our Vault using Project Sync.  For the vast majority of our files I get an error that says 'Vault sync properties failed.'  It says something about the file being locked, however these are new files that are being added to Buzzsaw and they are in a released state within Vault.  Can I not upload released files to Buzzsaw?

I appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

Steve

Windows 7 x64 -24 GB Ram
Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz
nVidia Quadro K5000M - 4GB
Inv 2013 SP2 Update 4
Vault Collaboration 2013 Update1
The best success we have had involves using continuous syncing with a top level folder (not our entire Vault) to ensure that files on Vault are transferred to Buzzsaw and any new/updated files in Buzzsaw are sent back to Vault. Allow file delete from Vault is turned off so that partial or incorrect uploads to Buzzsaw do not result in permanent deletion of files from Vault.

We tried using Lifecycle changes to trigger Buzzsaw events, but found it limiting in the end and encountered similar errors which we found to be related to file/user permissions.

It is best also if you devote two computers as full-time Job Processors- one to handle DWF publishing tasks, the other for Buzzsaw syncing due to the fact that continuous syncing runs prior to publishing tasks at each job submittal.

hope this helps

B
Employee
priwer
Message 2 of 17 (1,188 Views)

Re: Vault Sync Error

08-05-2013 04:35 PM in reply to: Clarkeng09

Hi - 

Please feel free to contact the Buzzsaw support group directly for any issues around Buzzsaw: http://autodesk.com/buzzsaw-support

Thanks,

Shana

Valued Contributor
bpettus
Message 3 of 17 (1,082 Views)

09-30-2013 05:50 PM in reply to: Clarkeng09

Did you get any assistance on this?? I might be able to shed some light on your situation, we are successfully using the

sync with about 50 unique users and have gained some valuable insight on the process.

thanks,

B

Valued Contributor
bpettus
Message 4 of 17 (1,081 Views)

09-30-2013 05:52 PM in reply to: Clarkeng09

Did you get any assistance on this?? I might be able to shed some light on your situation, we are successfully using the

sync with about 50 unique users and have gained some valuable insight on the process.

thanks,

B

Valued Contributor
Clarkeng09
Message 5 of 17 (1,067 Views)

10-01-2013 06:08 AM in reply to: bpettus

I haven't had much time to look in to that, however I am still receiving the vault sync error.  We are using the lifecycle event editor to share a drawing to Buzzsaw from vault every time the drawing is released.  My current work around is either quick changing the file, checking it out, saving and check in and release it again.  This typically works however sometimes I need to manually upload it through the buzzsaw interface.  Any further insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

Windows 7 x64 -24 GB Ram
Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz
Inv 2013 SP2 Update 4
Valued Contributor
bpettus
Message 6 of 17 (1,060 Views)

10-01-2013 08:40 AM in reply to: Clarkeng09
The best success we have had involves using continuous syncing with a top level folder (not our entire Vault) to ensure that files on Vault are transferred to Buzzsaw and any new/updated files in Buzzsaw are sent back to Vault. Allow file delete from Vault is turned off so that partial or incorrect uploads to Buzzsaw do not result in permanent deletion of files from Vault.

We tried using Lifecycle changes to trigger Buzzsaw events, but found it limiting in the end and encountered similar errors which we found to be related to file/user permissions.

It is best also if you devote two computers as full-time Job Processors- one to handle DWF publishing tasks, the other for Buzzsaw syncing due to the fact that continuous syncing runs prior to publishing tasks at each job submittal.

hope this helps

B
Valued Contributor
Clarkeng09
Message 7 of 17 (1,056 Views)

10-01-2013 01:01 PM in reply to: bpettus

Thanks for the info.  I haven't considered syncing continuously, do you notice any performance issues by doing that besides using two job processors?

We are basically set up to do that as well, where all of our drawings are separate in one folder and we are using 2 computers to process the jobs.  One does everything and is on all the time where the other is used during the day to process PDF and buzzsaw sync.  

This seems like a much better way to sync where I wont have to monitor the job processor all the time.

Thanks,

Windows 7 x64 -24 GB Ram
Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz
Inv 2013 SP2 Update 4
Valued Contributor
bpettus
Message 8 of 17 (1,052 Views)

10-01-2013 01:03 PM in reply to: Clarkeng09

Valued Contributor
bpettus
Message 9 of 17 (1,047 Views)

10-01-2013 01:13 PM in reply to: Clarkeng09
Sorry for the empty post.. I found we needed to separate the processing duties so that the continuous sync would not need to finish every time prior to regular publish jobs executing.

This does consume an additional license so that can be an issue otherwise it has been very reliable, I think it is about a 2 minute turnaround once info is loaded to Buzzsaw to port over to our Vault now that the bulk of the files are synced.

We do run into xrefs losing their relative pathing but this can be overcome by 'Getting' an entire folder prior to working on the files once it is back in Vault.

You mentioned processing PDFs, are you doing this through a specific app or the enterprise add-on? We are looking for a reliable solution to publish a pdf every time we check-in a file so that non-cad users can view Vault files without Design Review.

thanks,

B
Valued Contributor
Clarkeng09
Message 10 of 17 (1,041 Views)

10-01-2013 02:32 PM in reply to: bpettus

We are using an add-on from Imaginit that uses the lifecycle event editor so when a file is released it processes a job to create a PDF of the drawing.  It has been very reliable however it uses the released state and not a check-in.

We get the add-on for free with our subscription, however I think it uses Design Review to create the PDF.  If anyone is familiar with the Vault API I don't think the program is that complex you might be able to write a simple one to process the PDF on check-in.

Thanks,

Steve

Windows 7 x64 -24 GB Ram
Intel i7-3840QM @ 2.8GHz
Inv 2013 SP2 Update 4
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New Buzzsaw Category!

The Buzzsaw forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.