Buzzsaw General Discussion

Reply
*Dotson, Sean
Message 1 of 8 (189 Views)

Download Destination

189 Views, 7 Replies
06-23-2003 06:21 AM
Why does the browse dialogue on the download destination command not list
file area like My Computer/Desktop/MyDocuments etc.. It appears you can
only browse by physical drives.

It's quite annoying.

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 2 of 8 (189 Views)

Re: Download Destination

06-23-2003 06:32 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
It's only because we didn't think of that. This is a great suggestion. The
funny thing is that the download dialog went through rounds and rounds of
usability testing to make sure the XREF stuff was handled right, but no one
brought the lack of My Computer, Desktop, and My Documents up. It just goes
to show you that no matter how many times you test a product, with wide
exposure, there is always more to add.

"Sean Dotson" wrote in message
news:45DB476C77D3827D409BFD01F071501C@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> Why does the browse dialogue on the download destination command not list
> file area like My Computer/Desktop/MyDocuments etc.. It appears you can
> only browse by physical drives.
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 3 of 8 (189 Views)

Re:

06-23-2003 06:36 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
My memory is failing me, but now that I am thinking about it, there may be
some problem downloading to the desktop in terms of XREF resolution. The
ProjectPoint application may not know where the root directory is in terms
of resolving XREFs with relative paths. Let's see what Joan says when she
chimes in. She's the ultimate authority. My limited knowledge is based on
the past.

"Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
news:8E5BE514E78859CD104F046E8D48556D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> It's only because we didn't think of that. This is a great suggestion. The
> funny thing is that the download dialog went through rounds and rounds of
> usability testing to make sure the XREF stuff was handled right, but no
one
> brought the lack of My Computer, Desktop, and My Documents up. It just
goes
> to show you that no matter how many times you test a product, with wide
> exposure, there is always more to add.
*Smith, J. Daniel
Message 4 of 8 (189 Views)

Re:

06-23-2003 06:46 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
"Desktop", "My Documents", etc. are special Shell names that ultimately
resolve to a physical path; for example C:\Documents and Settings\\My
Documents.

Dan

"Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
news:AD46DF31666CDCC1B6B8399C42CD95C6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> My memory is failing me, but now that I am thinking about it, there may be
> some problem downloading to the desktop in terms of XREF resolution. The
> ProjectPoint application may not know where the root directory is in terms
> of resolving XREFs with relative paths. Let's see what Joan says when she
> chimes in. She's the ultimate authority. My limited knowledge is based on
> the past.
>
> "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
> news:8E5BE514E78859CD104F046E8D48556D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > It's only because we didn't think of that. This is a great suggestion.
The
> > funny thing is that the download dialog went through rounds and rounds
of
> > usability testing to make sure the XREF stuff was handled right, but no
> one
> > brought the lack of My Computer, Desktop, and My Documents up. It just
> goes
> > to show you that no matter how many times you test a product, with wide
> > exposure, there is always more to add.
>
>
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 5 of 8 (189 Views)

Re:

06-23-2003 08:41 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
Yes I know that. The files have to be saved somewhere. They do map to the
hard drive in the location you described. What I am talking about is what is
returned by the Microsoft APIs when processing a download to a particular
destination. I can see how you find it logical to use something like
"C:\Documents and Settings\sheppards\My Documents" as the root when
downloading to "My Documents" (I do too), but I specifically recall the
programmer, Chris Vogelsberg, mentioning something about having trouble with
XREF resolution and dragging and dropping to the desktop. That was back on
ProjectPoint 3.0 when we did XREF download. It's been a while. Let's see how
Joan chimes in.

"J. Daniel Smith" wrote in message
news:15D13B6F262FD9947F48A9C343193BF2@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> "Desktop", "My Documents", etc. are special Shell names that ultimately
> resolve to a physical path; for example C:\Documents and
Settings\\My
> Documents.
*Dotson, Sean
Message 6 of 8 (189 Views)

Re:

06-23-2003 09:43 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
Yes of course I recognize this. It's just a lot longer trip to:

C:\docs and settings\username\My Docs

than My Docs directly...

--
Sean Dotson, PE
http://www.sdotson.com
Check the Inventor FAQ for most common questions
www.sdotson.com/faq.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
"J. Daniel Smith" wrote in message
news:15D13B6F262FD9947F48A9C343193BF2@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> "Desktop", "My Documents", etc. are special Shell names that ultimately
> resolve to a physical path; for example C:\Documents and
Settings\\My
> Documents.
>
> Dan
>
> "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
> news:AD46DF31666CDCC1B6B8399C42CD95C6@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > My memory is failing me, but now that I am thinking about it, there may
be
> > some problem downloading to the desktop in terms of XREF resolution. The
> > ProjectPoint application may not know where the root directory is in
terms
> > of resolving XREFs with relative paths. Let's see what Joan says when
she
> > chimes in. She's the ultimate authority. My limited knowledge is based
on
> > the past.
> >
> > "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
> > news:8E5BE514E78859CD104F046E8D48556D@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > It's only because we didn't think of that. This is a great suggestion.
> The
> > > funny thing is that the download dialog went through rounds and rounds
> of
> > > usability testing to make sure the XREF stuff was handled right, but
no
> > one
> > > brought the lack of My Computer, Desktop, and My Documents up. It just
> > goes
> > > to show you that no matter how many times you test a product, with
wide
> > > exposure, there is always more to add.
> >
> >
>
>
Active Contributor
Joan_Allen
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎11-07-2003
Message 7 of 8 (189 Views)

Re: Download Destination

06-24-2003 06:17 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
Sean, this is a great suggestion and we have added it to our product wish list.
Thanks,
Joan Allen
Active Contributor
tomk_rlba
Posts: 39
Registered: ‎06-13-2002
Message 8 of 8 (189 Views)

Re: Download Destination

02-13-2006 11:44 AM in reply to: *Dotson, Sean
Has there been any progress with this and XP?

I just saw on Buzzsaw 6 on XP and didn't see ANY network drive listed when asked to choose a destination.

Thanks!
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New Buzzsaw Category!

The Buzzsaw forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.