Buzzsaw Forum Archive
Welcome to Autodesk’s Buzzsaw Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Buzzsaw topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Documentation and ProjectPoint Developer Groups

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
StewartMills
356 Views, 0 Replies

API Documentation and ProjectPoint Developer Groups

This is a general rant about the ProjectPoint API for anyone that cares to read it. Sorry to use up discussion space but sometime this kind of thing is therapeutic.

I use Streamline and whilst it is a generally great product the API documentation stinks. It is written in a poor mans version of COM and seems to be about three years old.

I have downloaded the ProjectPoint API Toolkit and viewed the pp_api.chm help file, but this is a bit sketchy at best. It does not recommend best practice or show examples of method or class usage.

For example:
PPFile.Upload ->
Upload the resource to the server specified by the ServerLocation property

Returns: a result code signifying the success or failure of the call

How is one expected to convert this in to code without a fair amount of trial and error?

This lack of documentation is leading to me code designing by trial and error and 'bad' programming, i.e. recursive if and for..each loops.

I like AutoDesk's products and their provision of COM api components, but it shows none of us in a good light if badly written applications are unstable.

With regards to the ProjectPoint related discussion groups (Buzzsaw, Streamline et al) could they please be grouped under one heading as they are pretty much the same product and this may increase the traffic in these groups. I have posted this in both groups to increase the chances of it being read by someone.

Best regards,

Stewart Mills
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report