Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamo and sustainable design tools

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kensek
2366 Views, 6 Replies

Dynamo and sustainable design tools

Hi,

I am looking for any links that have to do with using Dynamo with sustainable design tools (energy simulation, natural ventilation, daylighting, glare, CO2 footprint, passive design, etc.) and optimization tools.  (if you know Grasshopper, I am looking for things like DIVA, Heliodon, ArchSim, LadyBug, Honeybee, Galapogas, Octopus, etc.).  I am not expecting fully featured tools.  I am just trying to find out what exists, who might be working on things, and if there is interest in sharing information.

Thanks!

Karen Kensek

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mohammad_Asl
in reply to: kensek

Hi Karen,

I am a PhD student at Texas A&M University and doing my internship here at Autodesk. I have created some basic nodes for Dynamo to connect Green Building Studio for parametric runs and optimization as part of my research. Here is a video of my work (the video is a bit old and there are some major changers in new versions which I did not get time to create a video on). I am doing my research on this and published a few paper too. 

I am aware of that the Dynamo team and BPA team are working together to have a more solid version of GBS nodes in Dynamo. You may hear more about this soon.

Dynamo has a few nodes for for daylighting via Rendering as Service. You can read more about this through these blog posts on dynamobim.org page.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Mohammad Asl
High Performance Building Design Researcher
Autodesk, Inc.
Insight360.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mohammad_Asl

Howdy Mohammad,

I am Myo Boon Hur who is a Ph.D candidate at USC and currently working with Prof. Karen Kensek.

I would like to know differences between your work (dynamo + GBS + Revit) and other energy optimization BIM (Grasshopper/Galapagos + other energy analysis software such as Ecotect + Rhino). My understanding is that your work uses Generic Algorithm (MOO) and Galapagos uses Evolutionary Algorithm. I don't have any differences between those two algorithm. Do you use the same algorithm with Galapagos? Any differences between your work and others?

Message 4 of 7
Mohammad_Asl
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Myo,

Thanks for your interest. There are a few differences: 

1- The work that I did is on the top of Revit which is a BIM tool. Rhino, as far as I know, is not considered Building modeling tool. So the benefit of this approach is it can use the existing data in BIM database on material, construction, texture, thermal properties,etc. for daylighting and energy simulation. 

2- I used Green Building Studio as the back ground engine and since it is a cloud-base software, it benefits from parallel computing automatically which make the process time acceptable.

3-The optimization algorithm (Multi-objective Optimization Algorthim NSGI-II) that I have used fits the case study that I was working on (Daylighting and Energy Performance). The advantage of using Dynamo is you can develope your own optimization algorithm and implement it in your dynamo code.

I would be happy to talk about this in more detaila and help you to progress. Please let me know if you have more questions. I will post the link to my paper here when it is published. It is going to be published at eCAADe in September.

Mohammad Asl
High Performance Building Design Researcher
Autodesk, Inc.
Insight360.support@autodesk.com
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mohammad_Asl

Hi mohammad,

Your experience and suggestions would be of great help, even if very general.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Lorenzo,

Thanks for your post. My papers are published. Here are the links to the papers:

http://cumincad.scix.net/cgi-bin/works/Show?acadia13_101

http://cumincad.architexturez.net/doc/oai-cumincadworks.id-ecaade2014_224

Please let me know if you are having difficulties downloading them (please email me at mrah-at-tamu.edu) and I will help you on that.

Working on BIM for building design is a huge benefit. Moreover this process benefits from using GBS as the main energy simulation engine which is base on DOE2 and cloud-based which makes the process manageable for building energy performance optimization.

I am going to publish the optimization and Energy simulation packages on Dynamo website soon. I will ping you when the are released. We are working on minor issues before publishing them.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Message 7 of 7

Hello,

Hope you are well, 

I am doing a mini-research paper on Dynamo and Grasshopper Building energy optimization. I am analyzing the workflow of both Softwares. As I am aware Grasspohpper with an optimization plugin allows to analyze energy performance based on geometric shape and orientation and it generates the different geometry shapes options. Whereas, with Dynamo the optimization is more based on components like windows shapes, etc... Is dynamo can actually manipulate the building shape and orientation as well as grasshopper?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report