Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visually colour up model in Field/Glue based on status or other property

Visually colour up model in Field/Glue based on status or other property

Need the ability to visually report/colour up building elements in both BIM 360 Field and Glue based on status or other property. For example the below shows the wall and floor slabs that are complete in Green. This is very similar to the appearance profiler capability in Navisworks.

The business reasons for needing this are justified below. 

Capture.JPG

The business value of providing this functionality in GLUE

1) I can show visually to my client/owner the progress of the build, with green showing complete, orange as WIP and grey as not started. Not just is this an effective communication tool in a face to face meeting it also means the client can login from their office and get a regular update on progress without having to come to site. Client meetings including site walks normally take up a whole morning once everyone has got their PPE gear on and walked the site. If we can reduce the frequency of these meetings just by providing improved regular visual communication then its time the project managers and site managers can be doing real work with a possible benefit of a happy client.

The business value of providing this functionality in BIM 360 Field

2) I can get my regular site team (site managers and engineers) to update the work completed status using the equipment module. This maybe an engineer setting the status of a Fan Coil unit to be installed or construction site manager setting a concrete slab to be status "Poured". For my site team to do this on the iPad they need the colour to change once they change the status on an object so they know visually which ones they have updated and which ones they still need to update. The benefit of getting the regular site team to do this instead of waiting for a planner to do it is that we get regular daily updates on progress as opposed to when the planner comes to site or gets their PPE gear on an goes out and inspects. In the UK planners are shared over a number of sites so there is a time cost in them traveling to site. There is also a higher safety risk of a planner going on site as they are less familiar with the environment and pose a higher risk than a regular site manager or engineer who is on site most of the day.  

Note: If long term we want to enable BIM 360 Field to be an interface for updating the project schedule then we will need this colourisation indicator on the iPAD.   

This thematic colourisation would be very valuable system integration. Imagine a BMS system colouring up building equipment that had failed. Imagine an FM system coloring up the model to show equipment that was past its inspection date. 

A picture paints a thousand words. 

5 Comments
joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

davidfMJCFU
Explorer

This is something that we currently do in navisworks with the appearance profiler. Pm's and owners like it so much that they are demanding it on every job. Having the functionality in Glue would make a lot more sense than having to download the model, download the equipment properties, and then run the appearance profiler.

JoshauC
Contributor

I fully agree, if you can have a live "Snap Shot" of the current progress on the project, the project manager, construction manager and other high level personal can get a clear indication of where the project is at. Another angle would be, being able to show a fabrication manager hey everything in orange is what you're currently working on, everything in Teal is in the spool process and will be to you in less than two weeks. Now he has a visual representation of his coming workload!

kishore152
Enthusiast

I too agree with this option of Colouring the model Element with respect to the status like the issue pin colouring WRT status.

Colour coded model is very well taken by the client and top management for understanding the progress of the project.

Presently I am importing the model in Navisworks, running appearance profiler, downloading the updated model locally an replacing the Glue model and pushing it to Field. This is also generating a new version of the model both in Glue and Field.

This whole process can be replaced just by giving the option of colour change WRT status.

I request the Development team to consider this and act as early as possible. you should not take years for considering a decent update.

AWeirBAM
Contributor

Is anyone from Autodesk @anthonyneal @joan_allen able to provide an update on whether this is in Autodesk's plans within the near future i.e. the next year or 2? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report