Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Equipment Module to track rooms - Integrate the model...

Using Equipment Module to track rooms - Integrate the model...

We looked at BIManywhere and thought this should be functunality inside Field/Glue...  Well it's not.  So we found a work around for this.  

We used B3Field's equipment module to track rooms so that we can track multiple items in each room from checklists/issues/PHOTOS...  the big plus is that the "show in model" can be used to load up the location in the model.  We trigger this with Barcodes or QRcodes in the room.  There's always a way...

menu.jpg

qrcode.jpg

equip-model.jpg

Here is the overview of the work around: We create a dummy equipment object in center of each room, (making the room a piece of equipment).  This is starts in the authoring program (revit), then you glue it.  Once in Glue, right click on the dummy object and create a equipment set.  Then take model into field.  Once your done, then when you are in the field, each room has a barcode which is tied into that dummy room equipment.  Scan the barcode, it will bring up the equipment module of that equipment set and then click on "show in model" - voila!  Barcode opens the location in the model...

11 Comments
jarrod.krug
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

MClark_GilbaneCo_com
Community Visitor

Thank you so much for sharing! My workflow has completely changed now. Taking this approach makes room-to-room walkthroughs enjoyable. It's great to have all the data accociated with my current location. Checklists are now a breeze!

rickmc
Enthusiast

Thanks MClark!  It would be great if our friends at Autodesk had a more automated way of leveraging the model as part of the workflow instead of a work-around. Jab - Jab... It is called BIM 360 Field, but BIM is not neccesarily an integral part of the workflow.

Enabling our people to leverage the model as part of the inspection process drives higher value because as we all have experienced, once 3D coordination is completed, it has been difficult for our people to have "fast" access to the model to verify and validate that what is being installed is what was coordinated.

What we really want is live interaction with the model and reality...  So as a team member is walking around the building or project, there is an awareness in the model.  We are working on that too...  🙂

rickmc
Enthusiast

That is awesome!  Tell John Tocci jr., he owes me a drink... 🙂

keros.leder
Contributor

I have also been taking this approach for a while now.  I've also submitted an enhancement request to add a module called 'Building' or 'Room' or 'Area' to mimik the equipment module, but for rooms/spaces/floors/buildings.  

If you have Project Admin privileges you can also go into setup, locations and double click on a location.  There you'll find a spot where you can enter data for a location, much like you would equipment.  Not sure why this is hidden away in the setup feature when it's really meant for tracking room status and signoff. 

SteveDFThorne
Collaborator

I just tried this. Great Idea. I agree that their should be a separate module similiar to equipment but for the locations. 

Another major time saver would be if Autodesk would make the export of rooms from Revit to Glue and Navisworks become a small cube that could contain all of the data from field and could pass this data back to the actual room in Revit. 

Every room would have what I call a "room cube" but I wouldn't have to manually place each and everyone. 

There was a plugin from "CASE APPS" but they are going through some sort of transition and it doesn't seem to be readily available nor would  this add the field data to the actual revit room.  

rickmc
Enthusiast

Hi Steve, thanks for the Kudos!  We have used the case app with the room cube.  It does work to help automate a few steps there is still work to get the camera to be setup correctly.  I posted another idea around exporting the room spaces out of Revit to help populate the locations in BIM 360 Field.

Thanks,

Rick

SteveDFThorne
Collaborator

Hi Rickmc, 

I don't suppose you have found a way to use the equipment mapping for mass import. I have only noticed that each room has to be mapped one by one. Is there no quicker way? An equipment mapping template would go a long way for importing rooms as equipment. 

Looks like I might have found my answer: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/bim-360-field/equipment-mapping/td-p/5143172

keros.leder
Contributor

I've requested a Location/Room/Area module to mimik the Equipment Module for years.  We commission buildings, not just equipment.  Using the equipment module as a 'work-around' for tracking room status only kinda works.  Now if we could only get Autodesk to give us the ability to tie issues created in the Issues module using Pin drops to tie back to the Equipment module where we track our room status, we would have a much greater functioning tool. 

AWeirBAM
Contributor

One of my site guys asked about this yesterday as some less technologically gifted people find it easy to get 'lost' in the model. Even having said that it is quite easy to do at times, as i've never found the navigation using Autodesk products to be 'great' in all honesty.

Definitely solves this and I can see the added beefits of being able to track a room, especially for inspections. Will definitely look at utilising this in the near future!

Thanks,

Ash

michaelschenk78
Explorer

For anyone that is interested - we are now creating QR codes for each subcontractors which enables us to link all checklists and equipment (Rooms, Plant, ITPs, QP's etc..) back to a subcontractor. We have created a wall of subcontractor QR codes which we can scan at any point and bring up all information relating to that contractor - it has proved very useful during coordination/subcontractor and final account meetings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report