Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS

GPS

It would be cool to have the GPS option just like Autodesk 360. So while you are out in the field standing some where it could locate you and take you to that spot in the model.

8 Comments
rickmc
Enthusiast

This is a great idea!  Making it easy to get to the location would be awesome!  GPS wouldn't work in buildings...  There is iBeacon technology and red point positioning co. that are working on location awareness technologies.  

jlannen
Advocate

Even dumb it down even more and allow for placing QR stickers at places in the building that correspond to known locations in the model.  You could scan the code with your iPad and then snap to that locaiton.  This could also be helpful for automatically assigning locaitons when creating issues.

cody_austin
Autodesk

I think the challenge here is that your 3D model would need to be tied to real world coordinates in order for this to work. It's been my experience that most models are tied to a local coordinate/benchmark/monument and not something like LAT/LONG or State Plane.

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

ivanka.iordanova
Participant

A variation of this function is to be able to see the coordinates of a selected point (like with the measuring tool of Navisworks). Thus, when the model is georeferenced, one can see the geodesic coordinates of a point, which is extremely useful!

Chad-Smith
Advisor

Related to this idea is whether Autodesk is designing BIM 360 to be used on horizontal projects, roads, rail etc?

If not, then for me a GPS feature is less important. If yes, then this definitely needs to be included.

ahmad.khairat
Autodesk

BIM 360 Issues should be georeferenced as well, so when I display a model with coordinates (Civil 3D and InfraWorks, Revit with Location data) it can pin itself automatically, or can become like an authenticity audit/verification.

masoga.kekana
Advocate

@ahmad.khairat please elaborate.

When you say "Should be georeferenced", does it mean that the function is available??

We really need this feature, some builds are more complex than others and the feature could help. A QR option would be okay, the scan would then allocate the correct drawings or section of the model.

Also, the feature can assist in enhancing the location feature for Checklists, Issues and RFI's. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report