Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Overrides from Navisworks should be uploaded to Glue automatically

Color Overrides from Navisworks should be uploaded to Glue automatically

Currently, the only way to get colors to show up in Glue from Navisworks is to "bake" down to Navisworks 2013 NWD, then Glue from there.

The Glue upload should default to the overridden colors in the current Navisworks scene view. If someone wants to remove color / material overrides, they can Reset All... prior to upload.

6 Comments
luke.johnson
Advocate

It seems that this may have been fixed in recent updates. Can Autodesk please confirm?

anthonyneal
Autodesk

Better still. How about appearance profilier on the iPad

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

aaronwagner
Advocate

Any updates on this?

I like that we can set up rules in Navisworks in Appearance Profiler but the appearances are only accessible in Glue via Shared Views.  The Shared Views workflow is *okay* but not altogether a remedy in my opinion.  When a person accesses the project from Navisworks and/or BIM 360 Glue, the representation should be the same, or at least consistent.  If we set up appearances in a file using one application, they should read exactly the same in subsequent applications.

The ability to show materials using the NWC format is interesting but I still haven't been on a team that finds it at all useful.  For all of the projects I'm involved with, color coding the systems was a real key in distinguishing what was happening.  We can retain color overrides from Revit by way of the DWF format but there are many compelling reasons to use the NWC format, whereby all color overrides are lost.

Where material representation becomes really useless is when we want to have different colors for, for example, supply air versus return air.  No team wants to create a new material with a different color just for the system type.  Next we have to identify which types and instances we need to apply the materials to, and on and on and on.  It's not a good workflow by any means.  In the example, all ducts may be the same material but belong to different systems... and that's where we apply color.  This same idea applies to just about every other trade represented in the models.  And that color is needed in Revit, Navisworks, Glue, and everywhere else that it's accessed.

ahockley
Contributor

We really need to be able to color code the different systems and have it consistent across all platforms that utilize BIM 360 Glue.  It's definitely a priority item and I know you will have a lot more happy customers.

Chad-Smith
Advisor

I would also like to see some easy way to colour code within BIM 360 without any reliance on previous design software.

I think something at the Model Browser level would be handy like in the below image. Colours are toggled On, and can be Off if you would like to display the original colours from the model.

2017-10-23 13_32_45-Clipboard.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report